Please sign in to post.

Milan Hotel

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Ariston in Milan? I found it on Venere.com, it is close to the Duomo and affordable. Just looking for more feedback. Thanks in advance, really appreciate the advice given here!

Posted by
2344 posts

In my experience, the Venere ratings are pretty honest (only the people who use the site to book can comment). You should also check TripAdvisor - more reviews (usually solid) and candid photos.

Posted by
114 posts

We were in Milan last March (2009). I had made a reservation at the Ariston because I liked the sound of it being a "green" hotel. Other than that, it was just merely close to downtown.

But I kept scanning reviews on Tripadvisor and the Hotel Berna kept popping up with rave reviews. Few people were traveling, and so the hotels started having price wars, and I found a slightly better price on the Berna and so we took it and canceled at the Ariston. We were so happy we did. Sure, it wasn't right downtown, but honestly, there is a wonderful tram system and you can get downtown in a jiffy for a minimal fee. It is fun to see the city from the tram, too. We also walked downtown. The Berna was worth it because it was clean and comfortable, but the breakfast array was unbelievable. I have never seen anything like it, and it was a treat. We also liked getting some good looks at that huge train station as well.

Happy travels!

Posted by
133 posts

Thanks for the tip on the Hotel Berna, I think we will book it!

Posted by
1018 posts

I stay at the Hotel Berna every time I am in Milano and I really like the place. it is about 400 meters from Stazione Centrale. A year or 2 ago it underwent a major renovation and it serves the largest and best breakfast buffet in the city. I've noticed lately that bacon and eggs are appearing on breakfast tables in hotels. I suggest avoiding those items because the bacon is greasy and the eggs are runny. Everything else on Berna's buffet is Italian and really, really good. The whole bacon idea should be against the law there.

Again, I really like Hotel Berna.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
1003 posts

We stayed at Hotel Berna last July and it was very nice and so convenient to the train station. Very easy to get to the Duomo or to any other sights. They have a huge breakfast buffet that was included with the price of the room. Would stay here again if in Milano.

Posted by
45 posts

We also just booked Hotel Berna for our October visit. My parents and my sister have both stayed there this past year, and have nothing but raves for the hotel, the staff, and especially the enormous breakfast buffet.

Posted by
32212 posts

Gail,

I stayed at the Hotel London on my last trip to Milan, and found the room to be quite comfortable, albeit not luxurious. It's listed in the Italy Guidebook.

I found the location quite convenient, as it was reasonably close to Metro stops, walking distance (a few blocks) to the Duomo and Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele, and there were some nice restaurants in that area. It's also fairly close to Cadorna Station for access to the Malpensa Express to the Airport (about a 5-7 minute Taxi ride).

Rick sugggests getting breakfast on Via Dante rather than using the breakfast facilities at the Hotel, and that's valid. The breakfast room at the Hotel is VERY small, and only has room for a small number of people.

Happy travels!

Posted by
133 posts

We have booked the Hotel Berna in Milan for 3 nights in May. Thank you all for your replies!