Please sign in to post.

Milan Expo 2015

I'm going to be in Milan in Mid-May and am thinking about visiting the Expo for a half day, but I can't seem to find much detailed info about what to expect at the Expo and what will be going on. I understand that countries will be having showcases, but is it like one big museum or lots of tables/booths (like a state fair setup)? I also heard it was food-themed so will there be a lot of food there or are they just talking about or presenting about food? Also, is there much of a difference between the day and night pass if I only plan on visiting for a few hours? I only have 2 nights and 1 full day in Milan, so I definitely wanted to save time to see the classic sites as well (Duomo and maybe a tour including the Last Supper). Seems like the expo is a big deal, but I'm still not exactly sure what it is... Let me know if you have more info!

Posted by
19653 posts

I suggest you go and give us a report. I see from the Trenitalia site day tickets are 32 euro, but a night ticket is 5 euro. There has been a ton of hype for Expo 2015. A lot of infrastructure projects in anticipation of the opening.

Posted by
795 posts

We have gone to past expos and are going to the Milano Expo this year as well. Like the Olympics, the expo is not held in the same place each time. Milan was chosen for 2015. You will want to spend a full day at the Expo. It is 1.1 million square feet and is enormous! There are 140 countries participating. A number of them will have their own pavilions with amazing architecture and inside you'll find all sorts of exhibits on their cultures and traditions as well as their food. The main theme is about food and sustaining good foods worldwide and the technology they are using to do so. Each of the country pavilions cover one country. There will also be the Cluster in which countries that didn't build a pavilion can showcase their cultures, traditions, and foods. There will be a huge children's park, a Lake Arena and an open air theater for shows, a Biodiversity Park (they have put in 12,000 trees, water features, and more). The Future Food District will have everything from chocolate to coffee to spices sections from different countries. There are hands-on opportunities to learn at the Expo and yes, you will eat and eat and eat! You will get to eat all sorts of delicious things from around the world. It is so spectacular, I can't even do it justice in words. We are glad it is in Milan because we are spending a lot of time in Florence right now.

If you want to see the Last Supper, you need to reserve NOW. www.tickitaly.com/tickets/last-supper-tickets.php can help you. It is super popular and you have to reserve to see it (for 15 minutes only) specifically even if you get a ticket to go into the museum. ct now because many days in May are already sold out.

Posted by
11613 posts

Leonardo's Last Supper is in a church, specifically the former dining hall in the convent of the Dominican order. It may be difficult to get tickets, I just checked a broker site that I use often and they have no tickets for May 2015.

Posted by
78 posts

I live in Milan and I still don't know what to expect! Nobody knows exactly what to expect, actually.
Anyway, while you're in Milan and decide to visit EXPO, just take metro line number 1 all the way to the terminus, go the ticket counter, buy an admission ticket and that's it. Alas you'll pay full price (no discounts for same-day tickets).

Posted by
500 posts

I would add: this being Italy, a lot of things will not be ready by the start of the exposition. If you are still in the planning stage, it would be probably better to visit Expo in September or October than at its very beginning.

Posted by
1 posts

I have an advice in terms of buying the expo ticket. I purchased an open date ticket to the expo couple of days ago as I want to attend during my visit which will be in June. The website advertises that purchasing your ticket before the beginning the expo will be %20 cheaper then after. I paid €32 for the open ticket instead of €27 for a fixed date ticket. I was surprised to received an email after I completed my purchase stating that I have to select a date for my ticket as the entrance to the expo is not guaranteed. The also stated they are doing that for security reasons, also for safety reasons there is a fixed number of people who are allowed in each day. Anyhow, I logged in to my account to select a date, then I discovered that once I select a date I can't change it even though I purchased an open date ticket!!! Long story short, if you're planning on going to the expo, don't buy the open ticket. Save your money and get the fixed date one. Hope this helps

Posted by
286 posts

You can convert your open day ticket to a fixed day ticket just a few days before, which is ok for most people, I would think... whereas with the fixed date ticket you will have to choose the date when you purchase it, which can be months ahead...