Please sign in to post.

Milan...Airport to Train Station???

I would like to fly from prague to milan , final destination venice. This gets me to venice a day sooner and way cheaper than the tentative travel plans I have now. My question is, if I land at Milan Centrale, how far is the train station to catch the train to venice?? Does anyone know if this is an easy transfer???
thanks much, Julie

Posted by
23343 posts

First Milan Centrale is a train station and not an airport. If you could land there it would be simple to catch a train but you have to land at the airport and that is about an hour by train from the airport to Centrale. It is a easy transfer from the airport to the train station.

Posted by
11367 posts

If you land at Malpensa (MXP) you can catch a train to Milano Centrale and then onto Venice. If you want to peruse the times, go to www.trenitalia.com. I have found you need to enter "Malpensa Aeroporto" in teh from line to get the correct schedule.

Posted by
32224 posts

Julie, Which airline are you planning to use from Prague / PRG to Milan / MXP? I travelled that same route last September via EasyJet, so can offer some suggestions. If you're using one of the budget airlines, it's likely you'll land at MXP Terminal 2. If that's the case, I'd suggest travelling to Milano Centrale via the Malpensa Shuttle (Bus), since there's no rail station at T2. As I recall, the fare for the Bus is only €7.50, and you can buy that on-board the flight (if you're using EasyJet). You'll be provided with a Voucher, which will be exchanged for a ticket by the Bus Driver. Depending on traffic, the trip from T2 to Milano Centrale is ~50 minutes. You'll be dropped at the side of the station, so you'll have to walk around front and up the stairs to reach track level (it's a LARGE station). I've always found that to be an "easy transfer". It tends to be quite "busy / chaotic" at Milano Centrale most of the time, but that's normal. Happy travels!

Posted by
2829 posts

Is she's landing at T2 at MXP, she can as well just take a free shuttle bus to terminal 1, running every couple minutes, and taking the train from there as well. No need to take the bus.

Posted by
32224 posts

Andre L., While it's certainly possible to travel back to T1 via the Shuttle, that option will likely TAKE LONGER than simply using the Malpensa Shuttle direct from T2 to Milano Centrale. Depending on which train is used, there will likely be a change at Milano Centrale anyway. Travelling back to T1 is a more cumbersome method, especially hauling luggage. Cheers!

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to all, so much good information. This is a great site. My mistake about "landing" at Milan Centrale; but I'm glad to know it's do-able and sounds fairly straightforward. thanks,
Julie