Please sign in to post.

Milan

What are five must see places when visiting Milan?

Posted by
8667 posts

Well there’s this painting called the Last Supper.

The Duomo is nice. So is Sforzesco Castle. The art museum pinoteca di Breda, lots of Italian art.

And the La Scala Opera House.

Posted by
32206 posts

Matt,

If you visit the Duomo, also pay the small extra charge to visit the roof. The Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele is right across from that and it's worth a look. If you'd like to do some shopping, have a look at La Rinascente, also close to the Duomo.

It's difficult to make specific recommendations without having some idea of your interests. You might find it helpful to have a look at the RS Italy guidebook, as all the best sights are listed there. You should be able to find a copy at your local library or larger bookstores. The book is also available as an E-book.

Posted by
1388 posts

For me, the roof only of the Duomo (not inside it), the Monumental Cemetery, the Brera and the area around the Brera, maybe the canal area.

Posted by
1018 posts

Across from the Duomo in the piazza is the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, which is an upscale shopping location. Inside in the middle, you will find the "Il Toro." "Il Toro" is a bull made from ceramic tiles embedded in the floor. When you find it you place the heel of your shoe on the bull's testicles and you spin around once for good luck. It's easy to find because there is always a crowd around it. The Milanese have a sense of humor and that particular piece of tile needs frequent replacement.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
3 posts
  1. Piazza Duomo
  2. Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele
  3. Brera (search the map for the Pinacoteca di Brera, then walk in the tiny streets around it)
  4. Piazza Affari to take a picture of the sculpture that stands in front of the Milan Stock Exchange.
  5. Any gelateria.
Posted by
2047 posts

Did you see that the New York Times did a 36 hours in Milan in May? I like to review these articles if they have one on a destination I’ll be visiting. I always get great ideas.