Please sign in to post.

May weather

We will be in central part of Italy in May, Rome, Orvieto, Florence , Cinque Terre. May 12-27. This is about the only time of year that I have not been there. April was pretty breezy and cool, June was already extremely hot. So can anyone give me an idea how to pack for this trip. We are taking a couple new travelers with us on this trip so they really want to know how to pack light!
Thank you

Posted by
506 posts

Maggie, Thank you so much, I think we are right on!

Posted by
11613 posts

Definitely a sweater or wrap for the evenings, which can be a little cool. Perhaps a little layering of tops/blouses over a tank top or shell, but nothing like a big bulky sweater. You might consider taking an umbrella (or buy one when you need one), or light water-repellent windbreaker. A few years ago it rained for days in May, but the last two years the weather has been very pleasant when I was there (about the same dates as your trip).

Posted by
15806 posts

We were in those exact places (minus Orvieto) in May a couple of years ago and the weather was mostly wonderful: sunny and warm but not uncomfortably hot. We did see a few hours of heavy showers, and one day of torrential rain/hail/wind in Rome but that was just a good excuse for crawling a few more glorious churches!

We did make use of our umbrellas, and were glad for our jackets on some wet and chilly mornings/evenings.

Posted by
247 posts

We traveled to Italy May 15th through the first week in June in 2010. The weather was outstanding in May. It was warm but not too hot. As soon as the calendar flipped to June though everything was boiling hot. We had a tiny bit of rain, but nothing that de-railed our plans.

Posted by
506 posts

Thank you all again so much! Trying to pack light! Don't want to take clothing we won't wear.

Posted by
66 posts

I too am wondering about the weather for packing purposes. My trip is from April 21 to May 14 so the info above is applicable to May portion. How much cooler and wetter should I expect the end of April? Really need to pack light as we are traveling by train.

Posted by
506 posts

When I was there is April, it did not rain much but was cool and breezy. At times the weather did warm up but not ever hot. We had one afternoon of heavy rain on the Cinque Terre. But sunny enough the whole time to need sunglasses. I brought a light trench type rain coat and some light gloves I did wear a couple times on real blustery days. Wore medium weight pant and solid shoes the whole time. Long sleeve light shirts with layering a light sweater or light quilted vest. It was actually quite pleasant not to ever get over heated. I think the change from month to month is quite a lot in Italy. When I was there in June it was very hot. So I think as you approach May it will get warmer.