Please sign in to post.

May 2017

Me and my wife are taking our first Italy trip this May. We are spending 11 days spread out between Rome, Florence, Riomaggiore, and Venice. We basically have everything planned out in all of the cities except for Florence. We are staying 3 nights in Florence, and want to take a day trip to Tuscany. What is the best way to do that? We are not renting a car. Is there a town close to Florence (within an hours train ride) that you guys would really recommend?

Posted by
336 posts

Siena, no doubt. Gorgeous sites, lots of history, the best piazza in Italy, piazza del campo.

Posted by
213 posts

My first choice would be Lucca - it is about 75 minutes by train from Florence - Firenze SMN - when booking.
A beautiful walled city full of churches, a great tree topped tower and lovely back streets, cafes and shops. You can stroll the wall walkway and even rent bikes and join the locals. It is an easy day trip from Florence. You could even stop in Pisa during the day as well.

Posted by
15602 posts

If you choose Siena, take the bus, not the train. The train station is not in the historic center of Siena but the bus stop is. In Florence the bus stop is across the street from the train station.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are leaning towards Siena as our day trip. Any restaurants you would recommend?

Posted by
278 posts

February last year we made a brief day trip with a tour group that stoped in Siena for about 2 hours and felt it did not afford us the time we would have liked there. So we are going back in 4.5 weeks and staying 6 nights in Siena, after Venice. I think you will love Siena.

This time of year the Siena cathedral has the Gate of Heaven tour available which I am looking forward to doing.
http://operaduomo.siena.it/en/

Posted by
7175 posts

You could make quick stops in Pisa and Lucca on your way between Riomaggiore and Florence.
Store your bags in Pisa, visit the Leaning Tower, then on to Lucca for the afternoon, before your journey to Florence (via Pisa for your bags).

RE 2299
Dep 09:02 RIOMAGGIORE (Italy)
Arr 10:38 PISA CENTRALE (Italy)

RE 6761
Dep 12:20 PISA CENTRALE (Italy)
Arr 12:47 LUCCA (Italy)

RE 6834
Dep 17:42 LUCCA (Italy)
Arr 18:13 PISA CENTRALE (Italy)
Pick up luggage, then to Florence.
RE 3146
Dep 18:32 PISA CENTRALE (Italy)