Please sign in to post.

May 2009 Honeymoon Planning

Hello all!

I am hoping to leverage your experience in planning my honeymoon in Italy in May 2009.

I have been to Italy previously but not for many many years and spent most of my time in hostels so a very different trip!
We are planning to fly into Venice. We will spend 3-4 days in Venice and then make our way to Naples and down the Amalfi coast to Salerno. From there to Rome for 3-4 days and then fly home from there. We are able to spend ~ 2-3 weeks depending on how we are best able to budget the trip.
Any recommendations on timeline, must sees or affordable accomodations?

Amy

Posted by
32222 posts

Amy,

As you have 2-3 weeks for the trip, there are LOTS of possibilities on places to visit. It would help to know what sights you're most interested to see? Also, are there any particular cities you're really interested in?

I'm a bit curious on why you've decided to go as far as Salerno? You might find that focusing on the Sorrento & Positano areas might be easier (including day trips to Capri, Pompeii and/or Mt. Vesuvius). If you have room for a "splurge" in Sorrento, I can suggest an excellent restaurant.

The month of May will be right in the middle of the spring "shoulder season", so it might be a good idea to pre-book your accommodations.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Ken and thanks so much for your response.

Last time I was in Italy (many years ago) I did most of the traditional tourist sites in Rome & Florence with stops in Orvieto, Pisa, Naples, Capri. My fiancé is keen on Rome and I was hoping to start in Venice as I have heard it is a lovely honeymoon destination.
Other than that we are pretty open and certainly not focused on Salerno. I would love a recommendation for a splurge restaurant and thanks again!

Amy

Posted by
3313 posts

In Positano, on the Amalfi Coast, I recommend the Hotel Pupetto. A beautiful hotel on its own beach about a ten minute walk from the main beach in town.