Please sign in to post.

Matera / Alberobello

I don't post often but have been a Rick Steves follower for years and he obviously is the inspiration for our travels. The wife and I have never been on one of his tours as we elect to do our own itineraries and travel such as he did in the beginning. Exploring and discovering by ourselves.

I do have a question though. I dont think I've ever seen anything on his TV shows or presentations specifically on the Italian regions of Apulia (Alberobello) or Basilicata (Matera).

After the Pandemic ends and travel opens up, these regions and locations are #1 on our list.

Does anyone have any information on which specific travel book he has that might give information on his specific choices for lodging in these areas? I don't find them listed in either Italy travel book.

Thanks so much.

Posted by
1388 posts

Puglia and Basilicata (and several other wonderful regions of Italy) are not in Rick's books, but there is plenty of information here in this forum. One place to start is: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/travel-guidebook-for-southern-italy

As for places to stay, we enjoyed our cave room in this B&B in Matera: https://lacortedeipastori.com/

I would not stay in Alberobello itself but in your own private trullo nearby (there are lots --- we loved ours but it was for six people) or in a trullo that is part of a B&B --- our favorite place was Masseria Aprile, just outside of Locorotondo: https://www.masseriaaprile.it/en/camere-con-trulli/

Posted by
15003 posts

Please go beyond Rick Steves destinations. There is more to Apulia than Alberobello. Explore Lecce, Gallipoli and Taranto as some suggestions.

Posted by
2948 posts

Rick Steves’ (RS) uses Lonely Planet (LP). What makes LP a good guidebook is they let you know when the next edition will be available as RS does. An updated version of LPs Southern IT guide comes out in May '22: https://shop.lonelyplanet.com/products/southern-italy-5?via=Z2lkOi8vbG9uZWx5LXBsYW5ldC9Xb3JrYXJlYTo6Q2F0YWxvZzo6Q2F0ZWdvcnkvNTllZTQ5YjlmOTJlYTE0MTg2MDU4NThm.
Rough Guides is also good but, unfortunately, they don’t let you know when the next one will be available. Therefore, I wait until the day before I depart and purchase an electronic version that I read on the plane.

Posted by
16259 posts

Thanks for mentioning the Lonely Planet book, Mary Pat. I bought the Puglia chapter in the e-book version, $4.95.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey dwhornick
happy you came to the right place to ask questions, these posters know their "stuff"
theculturetrip.com/14 reasons to add puglia
theculturetrip.com/chef raffaella de vista's guide
tripsavvy.com/top places to visit in puglia
eatwith.com/alberobello or bari or matera or any town you'll be in or near. lunch, dinners, cooking classes in residents home for fun and entertainment.
onelessrat.wordpress/7 things to do in bari
experiencedtraveller.com/matera
italymammamia.com/things to do in bari
enjoy, have a great time, hope this gives you more info to research
aloha

Posted by
4381 posts

Accommodations are better found online, not in books. Especially now with so many changes.

Posted by
11156 posts

We spent a week in beautiful seaside Polignano a Mare, used it as a base to explore Puglia. . Loved Lecce.
Glad I saw the history and caves in Matera but it isn’t a place I would want to stay several nights.

Posted by
7 posts

Your post is several months ago, situations changing rapidly, but...

I am leaving shortly for a tour (different company through my university alumni association). It has been a piecemeal search online for information (and also I have relatives who have travelled there pre-Covid). I too would like to see more information about this area by RS; this tour grabbed me when I saw it, sounds so interesting. Our base is a hotel in Polignano a Mare with excursions mentioned to many places in related forum threads and Lonely Planet. I see one RS tour {Best of South Italy in 13 Days Tour} that includes Alberobello and Matera, two of the visits we will do from Polignano a Mare. Since my trip was originally to occur in April 2020, I have had some time to search for more information, still haven't found a single cohesive source. But the bits and pieces I have gathered have me excited to finally get travelling again.

Posted by
967 posts

We’re headed to Puglia in three weeks. My go to for charming places to stay in Europe (in all price ranges) is Sawday’s. I haven’t seen them yet, but found good places in Matera, Lecce, and a farm near Martina Franco. Can let you know how they turn out.

Posted by
16259 posts

Thanks! I will look forward to hearing from both of you when you return.

For others looking for tours that cover Puglia and Matera, I found this one with HF Holidays, a UK company we have used for walking holidays in England. They stay in one place (Altamura) and visit the highlights (including Matera which is not in Puglia) from there. It look tempting but we scheduled our trip for March and they only run the tour in April.

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/holidays-and-tours/guided-walking-altamura?format=pdf&vid=557