Please sign in to post.

Matera

My husband and I have three days in Rome before starting our organised tour. Can anyone recommend a short tour to Matera?

Posted by
32212 posts

Lyn, It's not really "easily" possible to get to Matera from Rome, as the transportation links are not as fast and frequent as in other parts of Italy. It would likely take the better part of a day to get to Matera by train, and another day to return leaving only one day to explore Matera and The Sassi. You'll have to decide whether the cost and effort to get there is worth it? I haven't checked in detail, but Marozzi may offer Bus service from Roma Tiburtina to Matera, in partnership with other services. Again, this would likely be a LONG trip requiring the better part of a travel day in each direction. You might consider planning this for a future visit, and exploring Alberobello and the Trulli houses at the same time. You could also consider taking the South Italy tour as it covers both those sites, possibly including a stay in a "cave Hotel" in the Sassi of Matera. Cheers!

Posted by
1825 posts

If you mean the town of Matera in southern Italy that is quite a long way from Rome.