Please sign in to post.

Marche

Last minute decision to stop in the Marche area before heading to Puglia. We have three days and would like to explore the coastal area. We will be coming from Verona so I am thinking of direct train to Ancona. Would love a recommendation of where to base? We are only traveling by train as I am not picking up car until I arrive in Bari. This area (Marche) is also new to us as last year we were in Perugia but never made it to Marche area. Thank you!

Posted by
15824 posts

IC trains stop only at Pesaro, Fano, Senigallia, Ancona.
In any case it depends on what you want to see.
If you are interested on seeing Urbino, then Pesaro or Fano are good. Acqualagna, a famous town, is also more easily reachable from there. I don't know what time of the year you are going, but all of them have beaches in town or nearby. Ancona is a bigger port city, but just south of it, at Numana, there are the best beaches in the region, although not sure how easily they could be reached by train or bus, I've been in the region only with a car (and during my service with an armored vehicle, but they don't rent those).

Posted by
1227 posts

Several years ago we took the train and stayed in Pesaro. In the old town it has a pedestrian-only downtown and nice piazza. It's on the coast and there are restaurants with ocean views as well as those in the old town core. We only stayed one nite so I don't know how great a base it would be for 3 nites, but we enjoyed our visit.

Posted by
36 posts

Thank you Roberto! And John! We will have been traveling for the previous week to alot of different places so would like to just relax a bit in this area. I am going to look at Pesaro and possibly a few others you mentioned. Urbino is of interest and would like yolo do that too. Wanting to stay at a rental as I need a washer. Thank you!!

Posted by
1227 posts

I thought I'd add that these days you can find a lot of walking tour videos on YouTube so you might want to watch a few for towns you're considering to see what they are like.

Posted by
11634 posts

We stayed in Pesaro one year, 4 nights in early October. As it was post summer season, we had a bargain room at an ocean front hotel that did not upend the budget and enjoyed a peaceful time with 70-75 degree temps and almost no one on the beach. The beach establishments are closed, but you can still walk on the beach, lay out your own towel.

We visited Ravenna by train, Urbino by bus, and spent one day just relaxing with walks on the beach. Great vacation from the vacation as Rick Steves says.

Posted by
11 posts

Greetings! Pesaro! Two years ago we planned to visit Senegalia prior to a RS Italy tour and unfortunately rain and mudslides made it impossible. So last minute settled on Pesaro and soooo glad we did. We flew into Bologna, immediately hopped on train to Pesaro. Once in Pesaro, walked from train station to our "sea view" hotel Rossini. Fabulous room and breakfast. We didn't have a car - walked everywhere - stayed 3 days. Beach, old town, gelato, good restaurants, Museo Benelli (antique motorcycles), strolling marketplace, great museums and architecture. We plan to come back to use Pesaro as our basecamp to explore more of the Marche region.

Posted by
36 posts

Thank you for the additional replies! We are going to stay in Pesaro. I found a great rental and it’s right in the center. Close to train station. We will explore from there and enjoy just slowing down a bit before we head to Puglia region. As always such great advice from all at this forum.