Please sign in to post.

March 2025 Italy Itinerary Feedback?

I’m planning an Italy vacation with my husband and 2 children in late March 2025 - the kids will be 9 and 12 at that time. I’d greatly value advice on apportioning my trip from those who have been there recently. Please no criticism of the length of time we have: we will arrive in Venice Monday morning flying direct from New York City to Marco Polo. We depart the next Sunday early afternoon also from Venice. So, a mere 6 nights! It’s the only time we have, and I thought better 6 nights in March than 8-10 in July or August when we could have more time (crowds, heat).

I’m thinking 2 nights in Venice, followed by 3 nights in Florence, and then back to Venice for 1 night before we depart. So total 3 nights in each city.

It will be my kids’ first visit to Italy and 2nd transatlantic trip (London a couple years ago). I studied in Florence, and then Bologna for a little over a year in the ‘90s, lived and worked in Rome a bit in the early 2000s, and used to travel to Italy often over those years. But it’s been 20 years, and I know the tourist’s experience has changed.

I feel very good about Venice — I have a good sense of how to find quiet and magic there. It’s Florence that has me a bit nervous given all I’ve read of the intense crowds even in what used to be the shoulder season. We wouldn’t be doing day trips - I don’t think we’ll be there long enough to handle that much coming and going - I’d want to spend our days in Florence, a spot very near and dear to my heart from my experiences in the ‘90s. There seem to be plenty of activities for families — cooking classes, tours of museums geared toward kids — and of course I could see the kids loving some of the same things I loved way back when, like the walk between the layers of Brunelleschi’s Duomo, exploring the Oltrarno and maybe Piazzale Michelangelo or Fort Belvedere.

But has Florence become just too much, too crowded, too touristy, for such a short trip (even if we stayed Oltrarno)? And if we stay too far away from the sights, is it even worth it to stay there at all for such a short time — in that case, would we be better off staying in Lucca or Siena, for example, and foregoing Florence altogether? (Note I am vehemently against renting a car, so train-accessible is important.) Or would we be better off staying in Venice for 3 nights to start, then just 2 nights in Florence before returning to Venice for the final night before our flight?

In terms of interests, in case helpful— we are an active family, by which I mean we love doing things — cooking classes, learning how to make things, getting up early and exploring, trying new foods. My son is passionate for soccer, and I am tempted to bring or get him a ball to kick around an off the beaten path piazza somewhere — it would be amazing if some kids joined in. I recall seeing a pickup game spring up many times way back when. But I don’t want to take the time to watch a proper match. The kids will enjoy art and history to a point, too (these are my husband’s and my passions), but we are very well aware of their limits.

Thank you for any advice.

Posted by
6991 posts

Welcome to the forum!

Would you consider traveling onward to Florence when you land in Venice? Then put your 3 Venice nights at end so you avoid the split stay?

If you decide to skip Florence -look at Padova or Vicenza as first stop -then back to Venice

Posted by
5 posts

I’d actually considered making Florence first for that reason, then decided it seemed too long of a travel to have the overnight flight and then the 2+ hour train from Venice to Florence. I also am irrationally attached to taking a water taxi from Marco Polo to our hotel in Venice and having that be the kids’ first introduction to Italy. But you’ve got me thinking I should reconsider, if we do decide to keep Florence as a second city. Thanks.

Posted by
43 posts

I am also travelling to Italy with my 8, 9 and 12 year old kids this coming November, starting in Venice and ending in Naples.

If it was me, I would go straight to Florence taking the train from Mestre station. You'll lose a day just checking in and out of hotels, so with limited time, I might as well slug it out during the first day. Besides, seeing the Florence Duomo can also rank quite highly as first time introduction to Italy.

Alternatively, spend all 6 nights in Venice. Make day trips out to Padua and Verona, spend a day at Burano/Murano.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you very much. I was initially thinking 3 nights in Venice followed by 3 nights in Florence, then go directly from Florence to Marco Polo on the day of our return flight to New York. We’d need to arrive at Marco Polo by 10:40 am (3 hours before flight). That way we’d slug out the long travel day on our way home, rather than while tired on our arrival day. Is that a nutty idea? I’ve been looking at train tables for the Frecciarosa, and while technically possible it would mean a very early wakeup on our last day in Florence. Thank you!

Also, if we forego Florence entirely, Padova, Verona, Vicenza are great ideas for a first place to stay.

Posted by
668 posts

I’m glad your return flight is at a more reasonable morning hour than the one I took back home to the East Coast from Venice! But I personally would not feel comfortable having to travel from Florence to Venice on departure day. Train strikes happen with some frequency in Italy, as do delays.

So if it were me, I’d do Florence first then Venice. I get what you mean about the impressiveness of seeing Venice as you arrive by water taxi. But laying eyes on Brunelleschi’s dome is pretty memorable too as one’s first image of Italy.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
668 posts

Also to say that if you are willing to skip Tuscany, I agree with the advice that you could have a fantastic week just basing in Venice with selected side trips.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you very much for everyone's replies. The last poster made a very good point about the Uffizi. We've decided not to go to the Uffizi -- at least, it won't be in our plans. I have been there many times, though years ago, as I majored in art history and then specialized in early Italian Renaissance art in graduate school. My husband is more interested in architecture and history -- in lieu of the Uffizi, I'll focus on finding a good family-oriented walking tour, not too long, and will read with the kids before our trip on the Medici, the Guefli and Ghibellini and all the rest of the wonderful Florentine history. The Palazzo Vecchio also seems to have some fascinating tours that the kids may like -- somehow, back in the 1990s when I was spending a lot of time in Florence, I don't recall the Palazzo Vecchio being open to visit, but maybe I'm misremembering.

So, I believe we will stick with our plan to spend some days in Florence -- staying in the Oltrarno (where I used to live way back when). Thank you very much for all of the advice!

Posted by
5 posts

Also I wanted to add a great thanks for all the recommendations of things to do and see in Florence, as well as the advice to run up to Bologna for pasta-making class. There are so many of these classes in Florence -- truly, I am astounded by how many tourist activities there are in Florence now advertised online -- I have to partly credit the internet for that, I suppose. I find the recommendation to go to Bologna for pasta-making to be an interesting one. I'm not sure that trip would make sense in our plans (I am aware it's only an hour train ride), but I will consider it.