Please sign in to post.

March 2024 Trip Itinerary

Hello. I appreciate all the info that has been shared already on 2 previous posts re: trains in Italy. I would like to get some feedback on our preliminary itinerary. I do have some specific questions I’ll ask at the end. We are a family of 4 (kids: 9/6). We are very active and early risers. We did a very active trip to Costa Rica Dec 2022 that was a test run for this trip. M=Milan, V=Venice, F=Florence, R=Rome.

3/16 (Sat) - Fly out of RDU early PM. Arrive at MXP at 8AM on 3/17.
3/17 (Sun) - Milan tour: Last Supper and climb Duomo. If there is time, we would do 1-2 other free sites. I know we need to purchase tix early.

*Option 1: My wife really wants to see Lake Como (stay in Varenna), though it would only be for 1 full day. If we did this, we would arrive in Varenna this evening.
*Option 2: I’m starting to lean towards staying in ”M” 1 night, and then adding 1 night to V/F/R.
*Option 3: We could stay in “M” 2 nights and spend 3/18 in Lake Como.
3/18 (Mon): I’ll assume Option 1. There is not much I have planned for this day other than walking around Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero Gardens and a ferry ride to Bellagio.
3/19 (Tues) - Take train mid-AM to Milano Centrale. Take early PM train to ”V”. Nothing planned the evening other than possible Gondola ride.
3/20 (Wed) - We plan on booking an AM Private Tour via a RS local guide. We have already emailed guides in all locations. We can do a 3 hr tour seeing Doge’s, St. Mark’s Basilica, Bridge of Sighs / New Prison, and St. Marks Square OR a 4 hr tour seeing Doge’s, SMB, Private Boat Tour, SMS, and Explore a Venetian Neighborhood. Evening would be free.
3/21 (Thu) - Take train mid-morning to ”F”. We would likely purchase “Passeporte” combo incl Uffizi/Pitti Palace/Boboli Gardens and “Brunelleschi Pass.” We could self-tour Duomo and Duomo climb (purchase tickets in advance), and Duomo museum if we are up to it. We have the option to see Pitti Palace and/or Boboli Gardens this day too (could also see on our Siena half day).
3/22 (Fri) - We plan on doing a side trip to either Pisa/Lucca or Siena. Whatever we don’t do, we would do Sun 3/24. If we do Pisa/Lucca, we would do a self tour of the leaning tour and surrounding area before heading to Lucca to spend the late afternoon/evening. We plan to eat dinner in Lucca and take the trains back.
3/23 (Sat) - We plan on booking an AM Private Tour via a RS local guide. We have 4 and 7 hr options. We would like to do a walking tour and see the Uffizi. Could add Accademia or see on our own.

3/24 (Sun) - If we see Siena this day, we would book an AM Private Tour via a RS local guide. The goal is mainly a walking tour. Evening free back in Florence.
3/25 (Mon) - Take mid-AM train to ”R”. We would do a self tour of the Villa Borghese Gardens or a free RS walking tour.
3/26 (Tue) - We plan to book an AM Private Tour via a RS local guide of Vatican City. We’d like to see St. Peter’s Basilica, dome climb, and Vatican museum (adv tix purchase). Rest of day free.
3/27 (Wed) - Our son’s 7th birthday is today. We plan to book a pasta making class with a local Italian family just outside of Rome. Evening free.
3/28 (Thu) - We plan to book an AM Private Tour via a RS local guide of Colosseum/Palatine Hill/Roman forum in the morning. We would transfer hotels in the evening near the airport b/c of early flight.
3/29 (Fri): 6AM flight back home.
1. Between options 1-3, is one option clearly better or one option clearly bad?
2. If you chose to add another day onto V/F/R, what would you choose? Technically, we only have 1 uninterrupted full day in V, 1 in F b/c of day trips, and 1 in R b/c of cooking class and changing hotels. You could argue we have 2 days in V, 2 days in F and 2.5 days in R in terms of actual hours b/w 8am-8pm.
3. If you had to cut Pisa/Lucca or Siena, what would you cut?
4. Do you think the 5 private tours and 1 cooking experience is too much?
5. Are we overlooking any major activity?
Thanks!

Posted by
5099 posts

Just a few thoughts-
Your first day is way too scheduled. What if you have flight delays/ cancelations, after you've done all that work to get Last Supper tickets? Did the Costa Rica trip involve major time zone changes? In fact, the whole trip is just too busy. You'll need a few afternoon naps the first few days to adjust to the time changes. Three and four hour tours for a seven and nine year old? Are they avid art fans? This sounds like a taxing itinerary for adults , not children. Where is the time for the kids to run and play, visit playgrounds, and decompress? Many travelers get colds on trips and need rest days. I'd suggest more experiences- How about family group rowing lessons on the back canals in Venice ( Row Venice.) ?
Several years ago we were on the RS VFR tour with a family with two girls about 10 and 12 years old. The girls were very well- behaved but mentally checked out on almost all the guided tours after about 45 minutes, and were allowed to quietly play on their devices for the duration. Just my experience...
You're also there the week before Easter, when all those areas get really packed- I've tried that- once!
Kudos for your hours of research, but I think you're setting yourself up for exhaustion and meltdowns. Slow down and maybe more hand- on experiences. Perhaps look for some gelato- making classes?
Good luck and safe travels!

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks for the tips Pat.

I like the “plan more experiences” part. We have the pasta making class. I know there are gelato making classes. There is also a Gladiator School experience in Rome.

Re: Needing more afternoon naps, I feel like there are several days where we have a 3-4 hour tour (let’s say 9-1) and nothing else planned. That’s 1pm-9pm to: travel to lunch, eat lunch, travel back to hotel or park, rest, eat dinner and go to bed. Seems possible in the final 8 hours of the day.

Re: Keeping kids attention in an art gallery for 3 hours, I think you’re onto something, but all guides have said their tours are customizable. What about 90 minutes in Uffizi and 90 minutes going to do something kid related (just as an example)? One tour guide in Venice talked about doing a kid friendly tour of Doge’s palace with a scavenger hunt.

Re: First day being too crowded, kind of tough to do it another way. Not sure I have a great solution. I’ll keep thinking on it.

Posted by
667 posts

You will be in Rome for Holy Week. Everything will not be as it normally is. Colosseum was closed when friends visited two years ago during Holy Week but I forget which day. Keep this in mind when planning. Traveling in Italy is not like visiting Costa Rica and I've been there twice with family for 2 weeks at a time and now I live half the year in Italy. You may be early risers (and I run at 5 am so I am also) but things will not be open super early. You can travel during those times, get coffees, walk etc but many sites aren't open at 8 am. Pisa/Lucca is an easy day trip from Florence and you can do both and even ride bikes along the wall. Siena I prefer to spend the night because it is so crowded during the day that I enjoy the more peaceful evenings. This is just my opinion and when I travel I don't travel like other people like to do and I realize that.

Posted by
33 posts

Hey Linda. Thanks so much for the feedback. We know we’ll be going during Holy Week. We knew 1 of our 2 weeks would be over Easter season bc of Spring Break. I guess when tickets become available for Rome attractions, we’ll see what’s open and adjust!

Understand your comments about Costa Rica. It seems that experience is not 100% relevant, but maybe not 0% relevant, we’ll see.

I guess I mentioned the early riser part bc I’ve heard people talk about things like Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps in Rome, St Marks Square in Venice, etc that are more pleasant to visit early vs 11-4pm to avoid crowds. That was why I thought that comment might be relative.

I appreciate your comments about Pisa/Lucca as I did forget to mention bike rides along the wall are on our itinerary. I 100% ran out of space.

Re: Siena. I’m not honestly not 100% sure what our must do items are there. It’s not m our list bc a friend of mine loved his visit there.

Posted by
792 posts

Hi there, just wondering if you'd narrowed down your trip itinerary? It looks like you've done quite a bit of research, well done! Sounds like you have 12 days on the ground, including the day you arrive. How many hotel & city changes? (I got lost, didn't know which itinerary or options you had chosen?) You will be traveling between cities when Italians are also on the go for Easter holidays, so IMO, train reservations would be a great idea.

I agree with previous poster, Sienna is very busy during the day, especially on Sundays, when Italians also go for long walks in nearby pretty places! I've been into Sienna very early in the morning & sat nearly alone in the square at 8:00AM, but by 10AM it was packed. Personally, I would pick EITHER Pisa (NOT my favorite) or Lucca for a day trip, not both. OR neither, spend the second day in Florence where there is so much to wander & explore. Maybe book a Eating Europe food walking tour in Florence for the second day... get to know the area & enjoy a walk with treats along the way!

3/26 (Tue) - We plan to book an AM Private Tour via a RS local guide of Vatican City. We’d like to see St. Peter’s Basilica, dome climb, and Vatican museum (adv tix purchase). Rest of day free.

I cannot IMAGINE dragging a 6-year old through the Vatican museum, where you basically trudge in a crowd, through all those rooms filled with art, then the Sistine Chapel and THEN St Peters. Since you're early risers, you could consider a Vatican-led tour that starts before regular opening hours & includes breakfast, and then via a short-cut straight into St Peters, you can book it directly via the Vatican website (I don't recall the details, but if you use the search bar on RS home page, you should find it.) Not sure what the availability would be during Holy Week.

Technically, we only have 1 uninterrupted full day in V, 1 in F b/c of day trips, and 1 in R b/c of cooking class and changing hotels. You could argue we have 2 days in V, 2 days in F and 2.5 days in R in terms of actual hours b/w 8am-8pm.

2.5 days in Rome including departure to FCO for night in hotel is where I would try to squeeze in another day. I've read elsewhere posters have asked their kids to do a bit of research & to pick something they wanted to do, it led to less whining! I suppose the Forum / Colosseum would be of interest & the pasta making class, but there are a lot of tours of museums planned during your stay. Good luck, I think as you finalize your trip there will be more suggestions! (PS, I thought Gladiator School & Gondola lessons sounded fun, even for adults...)

Posted by
33 posts

Hi Sandancisco. I’ve made a little progress on different attractions / tours but only so much as finding 2 things that are kid centric: Venetian Mask Making in Venice and Gladiator School in Rome. We will have 12 days on ground including arrival day (13th day is 6AM flight out). We have locked in our numbers of days in certain cities with our Airbnb bookings. We will have 4 Airbnbs: Bellagio (2), Venice (2), Florence (4), and Rome (4). Technically, we’re staying at a Hilton the night before we fly out, but we don’t plan on getting there till around dinner time.

Re: train reservations, I do plan to book the fast trains (Milan to Venice, Venice to Florence, and Florence to Rome) asap. Prices also seem to be lower the earlier you book.

Re: Florence Day Trips… I’m heavily leaning toward picking one of Sienna or Lucca/Pisa (and may drop Pisa). I like the idea of having more time to relax in Florence. Great idea about a walking and/or food tour in Florence.

Re: Vatican City. I’m open to the idea to booking a before regular opening hours tour. I’d like it to be a guided tour (and we have made contact w/ some local tour guides mentioned in RS book).

Re: 2.5 days in Rome. It’s 4 nights, but really on 3 in the city, and then you’ve got your arrival day around lunch, so 2.5 is really the full time we’re there. If we do cut one of the Florence day trips and do a food type tour there, we gain an extra day in Rome naturally. I do agree that we initially had a lot of museums booked. I’m not sure we’ll get to 0, but we may.

Thanks for your feedback and taking the time to review our itinerary.

Posted by
3620 posts

I think the buildings in the Pisa Campo dei Miracoli are, well, miraculous. However, with two youngsters, I’d opt for Lucca. You could rent bikes to ride around the walls, then have lunch.

Spend the remainder of the day in nearby Collodi. The gardens of Villa Garzoni are beautiful and include a butterfly house. All kinds of butterflies are flying freely inside, and you can just walk among them.
Just outside the path to the villa is the Pinocchio Park. (Collodi was the home of the author of that well-known tale.). The park is less flashy than a Disney- type establishment, but your kids are the perfect ages to enjoy it. I assume they know the story; but if not, read it to them before you go.

Posted by
792 posts

It's great you asked for feedback & tweaked your itinerary along the way. We loved Bellagio, you won't regret a few days at a lake after arriving.

So, I found an old thread about the Vatican-sponsored Vatican tours. If you scroll down, https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/vatican-tour-e7ab7c77-d5e4-4ccd-8a89-77d3c1fd661c you will find an excellent description by @brandonficktbom. You can't use any of the RS recommended tour guides for this one, it's booked directly through the Vatican Museums. Check out museivaticani.va.

My concern is that it is Holy Week, so can't comment if this tour or any others for that matter, will allow you what is more than a small convenience of going through a passageway that connects the Vatican Museums with St Peters. IF NOT, you have to exit the museum, and walk ALL the way around to the front of St P, not sure what kind of skip the line tickets you might have, but during HW I suspect the crowds to get into St Pete's will be long. IF you can't get an early entrance tour with the Vatican, I would choose one or the other, museum or St. P, and not try to do both the same day with kids. Frankly, you're not dragging ME to both the same day & I love museums! HA.

I wondered if any of the museums have kid's tours or kids scavenger hunts? Maybe something to look into...... Good luck!