Please sign in to post.

Maps?

Has anyone used Streetwise maps of Italy? Opinions.

Posted by
7737 posts

Instead of Streetwise, I would recommend the Rough Guide map of Rome. Here's an earlier topic I started on this subject: Map discussion

Posted by
9110 posts

The uselfullness of a map depends upon its scale and intended use. If you're talking about a map of the whole country: Streetwise is 1: 2,500,000 Michelin is 1:1,00,000 My beat-up, back-up, always-goes, old-as-hell, all-of-europe atlas is 1:800,000 and that's the smallest scale I'm willing to deal with. If I'm going to northern Italy, I grab the Michelin that's close to a yard square and has a scale of 1:400,000. That map goes down to just south of Florence, I think. It takes three of those to cover just the mainland of Italy. I don't know what good the Steetwise of the whole country would do except show you the relative position of the major cities and some very, very major roads. To me, it makes about as much sense as a vest-pocket atlas of the whole damn world. I've had a couple Streetwise city maps, but can't remember of where. They're indestructible, but you have to watch out for two things: a they cover everything you want to see so you don't wind up carrying two maps of essentially the same place b - - they don't get to such a small scale trying to cover everything that you can't even read them In answer to your specific question: No. I wouldn't even consider using one for the whole country. If they have one for, say, Florence, it would probably be okay, but so would something in the back of a book or something you picked up from the TI. My guess it that it wouldn't cover Rome too well since the place is spread out.