Please sign in to post.

Many Questions for 2 week Trip in October 2011

Hope you can all help! Planning 14 days in Italy in October 2011. We would like input on details since it seems so complicated. We, both healthy and 50 y.o., have a nice budget to work with ($12 k including airfare) Here's the general idea: Fly into Milan or Venice (from NYC), stay 2 days in Venice. Head south to Tuscany / Florence (3 days or more?). South to Amalfi Coast and surrounding areas (4 days). Up to Rome and fly home from Rome. Questions (that I can think of so far): Do we rent a car in Venice and return it in Amalfi since driving in Amalfi and Rome is bad? NYC to Milan or Venice - which is cheaper? What wineries are good to visit and where? What town would you take a cooking class? Of course, any hotel and restaurant suggestions are great. Any other suggestions on planning a trip is helpful.
Thanks in advance for the help, Jay and Debbie :)

Posted by
7737 posts

Sounds like someone needs to buy the RS Italy 2011 book as a starting point. :-) Good luck. And good for you for starting to plan now. That's going to pay off big time for you.

Posted by
2128 posts

Traveling from Florence to Amalfi to Rome involves some backtracking, which I try to avoid. You might consider flying into Naples and going directly to the Amalfi Coast (which is a great place to relax and start your vacation). Then visit Rome, then Florence, and fly home from Venice. You don't really need a car for this itinerary. Tuscany is the only place you might want one, and with only 3 days for Florence/Tuscany, you might be better off to stay in Florence and make a day trip to Lucca or San Gimignano, etc. via train/bus. Once you have your itinerary settled (and airline tickets purchased) you can start working on the details, reading the RS Italy book and searching this helpline for information on specific questions (i.e. wineries and cooking classes). I know I've seen cooking classes discussed recently in both Florence and Sorrento. You're going to have a great time!

Posted by
12 posts

I do have RS Italy 2011- that's how I found this site. Thanks so far for the help - anyone else have thoughts?
Jay & Debbie

Posted by
99 posts

I also would start from Naples and end up in Venice. A quick look at Orbitz.com and random dates in Oct I came up with $882 for flight from nyc-nap/vce-nyc. Not too bad of a price I think.

Posted by
7737 posts

You also might want to chop your questions into separate postings with clear helpful titles. (Although I get a kick out of the ones that are titled simply "Italy" or "Help Needed", naming them something like "Where to take a cooking class in Tuscany" will get you better responses.) Good luck. (And good for you for having the RS book already.)

Posted by
11344 posts

Jay: Took a trip to Italy last October many of your same destinations over 3 weeks and it was FANTASTIC! I think Venice deserves at least 3 nights. One full day is not enough to truly experience it. Personally I'd skip Amalfi as it is rather far south and takes considerable tme to get there. Concentrate on Venice, Rome and Tuscany including Florence. You can easily do 4-5 nights Rome, 3-4 Venice and the balance in Tuscany. I think sometimes we look at our beloved Rick's itineraries and think we have to be moving all the time like the (God help me!) tour groups do. While Rick and others can highlight the sights and sites, much of the enjoyment occurs when you are on the way to doing something on your list. Plan a slower pace with some down time each afternoon in case you want to follow an unexpected turn, or just relax in a piazza. (Campo dei Fiori-aperitivi about 1800-watching the people-SIGH) If you can do 5-6 nights in Tuscany you can stay one or two places and really explore and experience the region. Only place to rent a car is Tuscany. Take trains to/from all others. No reason to drive across the country when you can enjoy a high speed clean train! Consider staying in Siena or Florence and one smaller hill town like Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza or whatever town "sings" to you when you read about it. Just my thoughts!

Posted by
7 posts

I am planning a similar trip - in June with a family of 5. We will fly into Venice and out of rome ($1800 on delta). we are staying in a villa in venice for 3 nights. Have tours lined up, and trip to Morano. Then renting a van to go to Pisa as a day trip then spend that night and one other in Florence with a full day tour with a private guide. Then take the train to rome for 4 nights. Have a great tour guide there for day tour. Then he take us to Pompeii for a day tour - to sleep in Sorrento for 3 nights. On the last day we drive back to rome airport to fly out. I am happy to give you contact info.
212-452-9200

Posted by
15593 posts

I also think 3 destinations in 14 days is enough, and Amalfi is the one to skip. Milan or Venice. There is little to see in Milan, especially compared with your other destinations. It's at least 3 hours by train from Milan to Venice, so if you can get a good price on a flight into Venice, that would be better. Venice is a great place to unwind and get over the jetlag. Last time I stayed at La Calcina, great location, historic building, excellent breakfast, etc etc and super staff. Don't bother with a rental car. The trains are easy, comfy, and frequent. Not just because I love Venice (very romantic), but also because it is your first stop, I'd allow at least 3 days. You can also visit Verona (one of my faves) as a day trip from Venice. In Rome I stayed at Hotel Italia on Via Venezia. Nothing fancy, but the location was convenient, had all the basics - A/C, breakfast, clean, comfy, right off La Nazionale, but still quiet. Bargain prices for Rome.