Please sign in to post.

Mama Mia! Any Venice Rooms Under $100 E?

I would love to travel Back Door style and afford to stay in old Venice. But, mama mia! I've checked out a lot of the wonderful hotel suggestions and they start about $150 E/night. Naturally, we're going at a spendy time - the end of May. Can anyone recommend any places to stay for a boomer cheapskate couple in Venice who'd like a decent bed?

Posted by
32213 posts

Kay,

I've found that Venice is somewhat more expensive than other locations I've visited in Italy, so the $150 room isn't surprising.

If you're interested in "back door" accommodations, you might have a look at www.albergodoni.it It's not too far from Piazza San Marco and the rooms were quite comfortable, although somewhat "basic". You could also have a look at www.pensioneguerrato.it (both locations include breakfast).

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
11333 posts

Kay:

I booked Ai Tagliapietra B&B for October at 95 euro per night, breakfast included. Highly rated on Trip Advisor and close to San Marco. Lorenzo was very responsive to my email request.

Posted by
94 posts

Hi Laurel in PDX - I checked out Ai Tagliapietra B&B and emailed Lorenzo immediately. You're right. The B&B is highly recommended on Trip Advisor. Hope we get in. Thanks so much!
Ken, I had looked at the two places you mention and they are quite a bit more. They might have a touch more atmosphere. The price during high season at AT B&B is 95 E.

Posted by
3313 posts

If you're willing to use a shared bathroom, the Hotel Santa Lucia is very clean and in a quiet neighborhood near the train station. It's currently closed for the winter through February 5th, but check out their website. The rooms are large for Venice.

Posted by
94 posts

Hotels Lucia looks like a good option, Doug. Thanks!

Posted by
15585 posts

Look at the Dorsoduro area, which is somewhat less expensive. It is central and much less touristy than around San Marco.

Not sure about the weather in May, you may want AC.

Posted by
1078 posts

www.santasusanna.org has a list of convents and monasteries in Italy. Usually two single beds, no tv, maybe a phone, and breakfast. Since I don't spend much time in the room, it works for me. For example, usually stay at Santa Maria alla fornachci in Rome (80 to 95 Eros), have stayed in a convent in Florence for 70 Euros, and in March, staying at a beautiful convent outside Assisi for 60 Euros for a double.Check there.

Posted by
3580 posts

For a double at less than $100, or less than Eu71 at today's exchange rate, you may be able to find a suitable hote room in Venice. Check out Hotel Tivoli. I stayed there a few years ago; I believe their rates are still good.

You say $150 E/night. Do you mean US dollars or Euros? Think in Euros, and it will be easier. If you are willing to rent a non-ensuite (bathroom in the hall) room, your chances of finding "cheapskate" accommodations will improve.

Check with a "Let's Go" book. They usually have the cheapest choices, since the books are aimed at the youth traveler.

Posted by
293 posts

Hi Kay, we are going to Venice in September.Actually the weekend of the Regatta and we are staying at Pensione Guerrato ..95Euro sharing a bathroom. I meantion this B&B because he didn't double his price ( like a lot I looked at) during this festivle. I have heard great things about it. I have stayed in Venice before ( 3 yrs ago) and the price was over 100 Euro back then. B&B Doni is less expensive too. They will not be open until after Feb.
Good Luck..you will love Venice
Pat

Posted by
32213 posts

Greg,

Just to clarify, I also suggested Pensione Guerrato in the first reply. The OP has stated this is above their budget.

Cheers!

Posted by
1633 posts

Check the weather for that time of year. Even if it is cooler when you are there, you may not want to open the windows because of mosquitos. Looks like Hotel Santa Lucia has A/C.

Posted by
2091 posts

FYI-Many hotels in Europe don't turn on the AC until mid to late June no matter how hot the temperature! Also many 2 or 3-star hotels that do have AC don't have AC that is as strong as in US or Canada...more like a fan.

Posted by
7209 posts

I've been to Venice 6 or 7 times in late May and early June and AC has always been turned on at all the places we've stayed.

Posted by
94 posts

Just wanted to give an update. I found a very nice place to rent with ensuite bath and good reviews on Trip Advisor. Located near San Toma Vaporetto in the San Polo district about 20 walking minutes from San Marco. Called Al Campaniel B&B (http://www.alcampaniel.com/). Double superior w/sitting area, A/C, breakfast. They also have a smaller double standard with private bath located outside the room in the hallway for 70 euro. We went for the room w/good chairs to sit in to rest our backs and recover from the long West coast flight. Thanks, everyone for all your advice and comments. It was very much appreciated!

Posted by
3313 posts

Looks great, Kay! Thanks for letting us know. It would be great to have your report when you return.

I think Venice has many more decent budget places to stay than most people think.

Posted by
42 posts

This is a late response but better late than never, I suppose. Check out the Hotel Serenissima in Venice. I stayed there on a previous RS Europe tour and found it nice and very centrally located. A room can be had for around 80-100E (less if you find a deal on their website: www.hotelserenissima.it--check out their "four seasons" specials). I also stayed "next door" last summer at the fancy Hotel Bonvecchiati (traveled with my mom and she insisted) and it was a bigger hotel but very expensive and I personally preferred the charm and quietness of Hotel Serenissima.