Please sign in to post.

Malta

We're planning a trip to Malta in March. Any suggestions/ideas for hotels/itinerary?? Thanks.

Posted by
8293 posts

I spent 2 weeks in Malta a few years ago. We stayed in Sliema at the Hotel Pre Luna. It was very convenient as there was a bus stop directly in front of the hotel so that we could easily get to Valletta, where the main bus terminal is located.

As for an itinerary, there are double decker tour buses (something new since we were there) for touring the north and south parts of the island. I suggest you buy a Malta guide book because there are many sites of interest on the island, including a wonderful museum about the Maltese experience during the second World War. They are a valiant people.

You an also take a day trip to Sicily from Malta and go to Mount Etna, should that be of interest.

Posted by
32213 posts

Kathleen,

That's also a destination I've been considering in the future. Unfortunately, Rick hasn't covered that area yet.

I'd suggest checking the This book, This book, This book or especially This book for information. You should be able to find some (possibly older editions) at your local Library.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
536 posts

Hi Kathleen - Malta is very nice to see - A day is sufficient so I hope you're not planning a long stay. There are so many place such as Sicily, The Amalfi Coast that are much more desirable. I've been taking small groups to Italy for many years but I can't honestly tell you that Malta deserves more than a couple of days at the most.

Ciao, greg

Posted by
8293 posts

Greg, a day is sufficient for Malta? Surely you jest. Have you actually been to Malta? Would you say a day is sufficient for Sardinia, as well? We found something to see and do every day of the two weeks we were there. We travelled all over the island as well as to Gozo. There are beaches, there is snorkelling, there is a lively night life in St. Julian's, and there are ruins and museums. There are charming fishing villages as well as the capital, Valletta, to visit and delight in. It is a place steeped in history. Even for a hit-and-run kind of tourist the idea that a day is sufficient is pure nonsense.

Posted by
440 posts

Kathleen, before I went to Malta for 5 days (not enough), I often perused the website www.101malta.com It is very useful. I stayed at Sliema, at the Hotel Fortina. Terrific value, pools, gym, restaurants, close to the local buses, ferry to Valetta etc. After 4 weeks in Italy, everything seemed so inexpensive. Mdina is worth a visit, and the hop-on, hop-off buses which tour (each route covers a half) of the main island. Staying at Hotel Fortina included a Two Harbour Cruise, much to my delighted surprise.