Please sign in to post.

Malpensa Airport to Venice

Flying into Malpensa Airport in August and did some research the best way to get from the Airport to Milano Central to take the train to Venice. Please correct me if I am wrong as this is what I came up with: We will take the train from the airport to Milano Central (which is about 50 minute ride) and then take the train from Milano Central to Venezia Santa Lucia? The train ride from there runs about 3 hrs?

Posted by
5241 posts

Helene,
That sounds right.
You will take the 'Malpensa Express' ( Regional train € 12pp) from Malpensa to Milano Centrale then transfer to a freccia ( high speed) train to Venezia Santa Lucia.

Use the trenitalia website to check train schedules: http://www.trenitalia.com

It's not recommended to buy your train ticket in advance for the day of arrival due to unforeseen delays ( flight delays, airport delays such as customs/immigration, luggage claim, etc...)

You can buy your train tickets at the airport train ticket counter.

EDIT: you posted twice so it would be a good idea to delete your duplicate post :-)

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you so much. Just wanted to confirm my thinking was correct.

Posted by
32222 posts

Helene,

One point to note is that the Malpensa Express from MXP to Milano Centrale has two routes, one to Centrale and one to Milano Cadorna station. BE SURE to board the correct train! Also, that's a Regionale train so DON'T forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding the train, or you'll risk hefty fines which will be collected on the spot!

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you so much for the tips. I was not aware yet of the validation required. I went to the site you told me to and put in the information to see what I'm dealing with and it's not coming up with anything. Any idea why?

Posted by
473 posts

FYI, you validate your ticket in a little yellow machine. They are all over the station, more so near the tracks. It works very similarly to an old-fashioned time punch clock. Slide your ticket into the machine and a time-stamp is printed on it. If the time prints on an area that's already printed, just repeat.

Posted by
11613 posts

The ticket validation machine may be green-white instead of yellow, the yellow ones are being replaced.

Posted by
17 posts

I really appreciate all the information. I'm sure I might be back with a couple of more questions. Learning a lot from this community forum.

Posted by
5241 posts

Helene,

I went to the site you told me to and put in the information to see what I'm dealing with and it's not coming up with anything. Any idea why?

To check Malpensa Express train schedules, check this website:http://www.trenord.it/EN/

but choose a day within a week from today's date.

To check train schedules for the Milan> Venice, check the trenitalia website & make sure you write the train stations in Italian:

• Milan's Central Station = Milano Centrale
  • Venice = Venezia Santa Lucia
Posted by
473 posts

The ticket validation machine may be green-white instead of yellow, the yellow ones are being replaced. I did an online search for "italian ticket validation machine". Photos of both models appeared. I learned something new!