Please sign in to post.

Malpensa Airport

Hello,
What is the most convenient way to travel from the airport to Milano Central Train Station? We are landing and traveling out to Lake Como directly. Thanks

Posted by
23284 posts

Either bus or train. Bus is about an hour depending on traffic. Train is a little quick BUT make sure you have the train to Centrale. Depending on your terminal, you may pass the bus stop prior to the train. Bus could be slightly more convenient since it is closer to your terminal. But the train puts you inside the terminal.

Posted by
11613 posts

I always take the train, it leaves from the airport (follow signs) and pulls into Milano Centrale; all you need to do is buy your ticket and check the electronic board to find your train to Lake Como.

Posted by
16893 posts

And before heading to the train track, don't forget to date-stamp the train ticket in the validation box, so they know you're not saving it to use again next week.

Posted by
32212 posts

Carolyn,

I'm assuming you're landing at MXP Terminal 1 after a flight from the U.S.? The transportation from Terminal 2 is a bit different.

It would help to know which town you're going to on Lake Como? In any case, you'll first have to take the Malpensa Express from the airport to Milano Centrale. You can buy your tickets for both rail trips at the airport station. Note that the M.E. has two routes, one to Centrale and one to Cadorna, so be sure to board the correct train. As Laura mentioned, be sure to validate your ticket prior to boarding the train, as hefty fines may result if you don't. The same will likely apply on your train to Lake Como.

Posted by
209 posts

Yes we are flying in from NYC. We are heading to Varenna for several days.

Posted by
32212 posts

Carolyn,

Thanks for the additional information.

After collecting your luggage and buying tickets both for the trip to Milano Centrale and to Varenna, take the Malpensa Express to Centrale as I described earlier. You might also buy your tickets for the return journey from Varenna, as the ticket office there isn't staffed. One point to mention is that you can also buy tickets in Varenna at the helpful Tivano Tours office, which is just downhill from the station.

The M.E. arrives at Centrale on one of the outlying tracks (Binario 1/2?), and you'll walk from there into the main hall where the other tracks are located. Check the electronic board for the track (Binario) number of your next train. It may not show Varenna on the display, but rather Tirano or Sondrio as those will be the end destinations of that train. You can also check the large "Partenze" charts to see the details of each departure.

Prior to boarding the train to Varenna, you MUST validate your ticket or risk hefty fines! I'd suggest sitting on the left (when facing forward) as that will provide better views of the lake as you approach. The journey will be ~1H:03M and you'll go through a tunnel just prior to arrival. Be prepared to disembark promptly as the train doesn't stop for long. You should be able to walk from the station to your hotel (most are downhill).