Please sign in to post.

Mailing postcards

My friends love getting picture postcards. Where can I buy stamps, besides the post office? Anybody know how much they are? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by
811 posts

We don't usually mail postcards, but on our trip last year to Italy we felt inspired to mail out 2 of them from the Vatican to some Catholic friends (so they'd have the Vatican post mark). The same place we purchased the postcards (at a kiosk toward the end of the Vatican Museum tour) they sold the stamps and we were able to fill them out, stamp them, and drop them into a mail box all right there.

So you may have luck buying your stamps at the same place where you purchase the postcards (although they may charge slightly more for the stamp?). Others may have more information on this...

Posted by
64 posts

I mailed postcards from Rome just recently. They arrived less than a week later (to the Seattle area). I don't remember the cost exactly, but I believe each stamp for a postcard was just slightly less than 1euro. You can also get stamps at some (each one is different) Tabbacchi shops. I was in line for a phone card, and the lady in front of me bought a book of stamps for sending postcards to the US. These are the handiest little shops. I also saw numerous "post offices" as I walked around Venice, Florence and Rome, so they are plentiful, and easy to navigate. There is no reason not to go into one of them, get your stamps and send your postcards off right away.

Posted by
401 posts

Yes, all Tabacchi sell stamps. To send overseas is around 80 cents I believe, though it might be cheaper sending them to Israel. To guarantee that they get there fairly quickly I would recommend using the Vatican Post office, tucked just behind the colonnade outside of St. Peter's.

Posted by
15585 posts

Thanks, all. No, Claire, I don't send to Israel. Instead, when I get home, I invite all my friends over, open a bottle of wine (hopefully they bring several) and make them look at my photos!