Please sign in to post.

Luggage question

Hi- It's getting closer to time for our trip and I'm thinking of more questions! I know Rick Steves recommends travelling lite. We hope to do that, but not sure (probably not) that we can do just carry-ons. Problem is, we're going to Cinque Terre, Venice and the Dolomites - different climates, so we'll need to make sure to have some cold weather gear, just in case.
That being said, how are the airlines/airports there for getting luggage after arriving? Is it a long wait, typically? Also, how much of a pain is it to have a bigger than just carry-on suitcase? We'll be doing a couple legs by train, the last by car. I will be bringing my camera and some lenses and a tripod, so that'll take up a good bit of my backpack.
Also, I know everyone recommends good walkers for walking on the cobblestone streets, hiking around Cinque Terre, etc., but do you also bring a cute pair of shoes for going out at night? Or, do you wear your not-so-cute walking sandals? :)
Thanks!!!
Theresa

Posted by
655 posts

For me it would be difficult getting on and off of trains with a larger suitcase. I manage fine with a small carry on suitcase. I usually bring 3 pairs of shoes since I am a marathoner and have to run while I am gone. I try to bring layers to wear. This has worked well for me the past three summers but this may be more of a challenge for me next winter.

Posted by
32206 posts

Theresa,

I always check my main Backpack and so far haven't had too much of a wait before it appears on the carousel. Whether larger bags will be a "pain" will depend to some extent on how easily you're able to haul them around, on & off trains, etc. Regarding "cold weather" gear, you should be fine by packing clothing that you can use for "layering" so that may help avoid packing along heavier gear. You'll probably find that Venice and the Cinque Terre will be warmer, so you'll only need a sweater or whatever in the evenings. Lightweight rain gear is always a good idea, even at this time of the year.

Posted by
13937 posts

Agree with the others that trains are the issue for me. The steps are steep up in to the car, sometimes there is a gap between the bottom step and the platform and the stops are short so you have to be ready to move quickly...either getting on or off. THat's hard to do if you are having to handle a bunch of luggage.

You can wear the same clothes for the mountains, just pack a light base layer. I would probably take a fleece vest and wear it under my waterproof rain layer and stick some glove liners in the pocket for cold days. Either wear the fleece vest or jacket on the plane, pack the other in a compression bag.

If you are leaving soon you need to get your shoes sorted out soon. They need to be worn on some long days at home before you leave on vacation.

The best advice I've read regarding packing light is what Frank from Colorado says...pack on paper first.

Posted by
5835 posts

..how are the airlines/airports there for getting luggage after arriving? Is it a long wait, typically?

No long. By the time I find and use an ATM my checked bag usually arrives within a few minutes.

If you are collecting checked bags at the immigration control point airport the baggage may beat you if you arrive at the same time as a bunch of other international flights. If you connect to your final destination, the aircraft is commonly a single aisle aircraft with less people and luggage to handle. (Why does it take 10 to 20 minutes to get out of the back of a twin aisle plane? Folks struggling with carry-on baggage perhaps?)

Of course if your bag is a one percenter, you have to wait for the last bag then do the missing bag claim. The blessing in disguise is having your lost bag delivered.

Posted by
199 posts

Hi Teresa,
About the shoes, I try to compromise and bring something flat and black with good traction for dinner out, concerts, etc. These can alternate with my athletic shoes to give my feet a break, if my walking shoes got wet, etc. Another reason: I have avoided packing dressier shoes with heels ever since I tripped and fallen a couple of times in Europe.

Have a wonderful trip!
Sincerely, Carole

Posted by
506 posts

I wear a light pair of athletic shoes (sketchers) and bring a pair of Cobb Hill Mary Jane type in black and then if it looks like the weather will be on warmer side I take a light pair of Sandals (Earth). Harder if you are a man or have larger heavier shoes. If we have to change planes than we don't check bags. Either way it has it's problems. Nice to leave off your bag but worry that with the changes everything gets there. Carry everything on then you never get a break from those bags. But as others have said, the train is the challenge, steep steps and you have to get off and on quickly. And unless you take Taxi's you also have a lot of walking to do from hotels to trains. Italy in May has a lot of humidity so will feel warmer. I would layer with a cardigan or fleece over everything else that you would bring that is lighter.

Posted by
824 posts

Hi Theresa,

Having traveled from Florence to Venice via rail, I strongly suggest taking a standard carry-on sized suitcase. The train is not a place for lugging around a larger suitcase because of the narrow entryways, stairs and aisles. I took a standard 25 inch rolling suitcase because I was combining a business trip with personal sightseeing and getting the large suitcase on and off the trains was a real pain.

If you find that a 22 inch suitcase just won't suffice, try looking for a 24/25 inch rolling duffle bag that is about as narrow as 22 inch carry-on. REI makes a couple of really nice one; one with built-in backpack straps. While not truly carry-on by airline standards, the narrowness of the bag will make it a lot easier to get on and off trains. My new go-to bag is the REI Stratocruiser 25 and I love it.

As for the time spent in the mountains, my suggestion is to use the layered-clothing principle versus adding cold-climate wardrobe items. A sweater to wear when it is colder and a good waterproof windbreaker to wear over it should suffice during cooler days and nights or when there is inclement weather. Another option is to purchase something locally if the weather actually surpasses your wardrobe.

Good luck and happy travels.

Todd

Posted by
107 posts

You are funny. BUY cute shoes in Italy!
Travel light, a MUST. Trains,streets,stairs etc hard to manage with big luggage. I carry a 21 inch luggage and a Northface backpack. Whether it is one week or three weeks. It is important to take things you can easily wash and drip dry.

Posted by
393 posts

My family of 4 have traveled Britain and Greece over New Years while living out of carry-ons. "Try it. You'll like it." (the ease of getting around is so nice.)

Posted by
787 posts

For years, regardless of the length of the trip, I have used my rolling 21" bag, and it's worked great for me. Big enough to take everything I need, small enough to easily take it on/off trains, etc. And I have some sort of daybag, which has decreased in size over the years as my kids have grown and become able to carry more of their own stuff.

I usually bring 3-4 (gasp) pairs of shoes: comfortable walking shoes; nice shoes with a heel if we'll be going somewhere that warrants them; some other smaller pair of shoes as a change-up, and my running shoes. (I really dislike wearing my running shoes for any other activity, just a quirk).

Posted by
752 posts

Always travel light. Not wise to take big bags with you. I always travel in the Fall/Winter at the same 15 pounds total in a 20-inch rolling carry-on bag. I pack a lot of light stuff like undies, socks, light fabric tops and pants, and one pair of heavy denim jeans, also one pair of leg warmers.

You can wear a substantial amount of layers on you during the flights because those airline cabins are Freezing Cold, and those little blankets they give you don't help much. Recently on a Return flight there were No blankets at all. I wear layers and my mountain coat on the flights and I'm quite comfortable under it. Also those trains can be quite drafty and I have hidden under my coat there too.

One light bag is essential for train travel, getting up and down stairs, hoisting to luggage rack high above seats. There may Not be any space for your big bag. Remember, other travelers are taking up luggage rack space with their bags too, and those racks fill up fast. When I've had to travel coach, there were times I had to hold my bag on my lap, but at 15 pounds, it was doable.

I've seen couples struggle with big bags on trains. Usually the guys lift bags up to their wives at the top of the stairs, but this one time, the guy pushed a big bag up the stairs, and when the wife bent down to get it, it dragged her back down the stairs. Always have on you what you can manage on your own.

I wear my walking shoes and pack light, fabric Mary Janes for Church and going out. And I pack fancy-patterned black socks, which dress up sandals too.