Please sign in to post.

luggage on train

could someone tell me if you take your luggage onto the train with you, or if it is checked like at the airport. Thanks kathy

Posted by
14 posts

You take it with you. For a longer trip (like from Venice to Florence), there were racks up above. For shorter trips, there were not--so we took up a seat with ours or had to move it to an area in the car. Just be sure to sit near your luggage and don't put anything of value in the outside compartments. We had absolutely no problems.

Posted by
10 posts

that is what I was afraid of, we will be on a cruise ship for 17 days before getting to Savona and then will ride trains. So that means we really have to be careful what we pack. Thanks so much!!! kathy

Posted by
1893 posts

Katherine, just a side note...if you are planning a lot of train travel, pack accordingly. it's not fun, or that easy to get your luggage on and off trains. Sometimes there isn't much time allowed to get on, and you really have to hustle. Carry on is best, a small suitcase. The doorway and aisles are narrow too, so make sure you don't pack too much, or too heavy!

Posted by
15961 posts

Katherine, one suggestion might be to take a larger suitcase for the cruise and a smaller one for the trains. When the cruise is done, ship the larger suitcase home and only take the smaller, carry-on size one for the rest of the journey.

Posted by
23534 posts

No, what you do is pack smart for the cruise. When we cruise and travel we fit the extra clothes necessary for the cruise into one addition carryon bag for a total of three carryon size bags -- one rolling and two backpack style for the two os us.

Posted by
893 posts

Katherine, We always travel light, but when we went on the cruise I took way too many clothes thinking that I needed to dress nicer at night. I was wrong, meaning I could have worn the same things more often by mixing more. Also remember that on the cruise there are self serve laundry rooms. Pack light. Have fun.

Posted by
448 posts

on some trains (such as rome to venice direct), the only luggage storage area is at the end of each car, which means that you may not be sitting close to your luggage. If you're concerned about keeping an eye on your luggage (theft) you might consider bringing a bike chain lock to thread through your luggage handle and between the bars on the storage rack.