Please sign in to post.

luggage on the train

I have a question on lugage to see if this is feasible? My wife and I plan to take a traveler's backpack each (like a multiple day backpack) and one decent size suit case 28x18). So, I am wondering will that fit okay on the train and will it fit in the storage at the train station?I couldn't find anything on the train websites. We plan on taking second class seats in Switzerland and some First class seats in Italy.

Posted by
8679 posts

I think your back packs will fit above your heads on the Italy trains. My RS bag did. Can't comment on all train stations but at the one in Milan you don't store your luggage in lockers, you check it in and get a ticket.

Have to ask. Why are you taking first class seats on the Italian trains. 2nd class is just fine. Comfortable, clean and cheaper. I took 5 trains in Italy last December. All 2nd class. No complaints.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
121 posts

I agree about 2nd class in Italy - unless you are in Northern Italy only the difference between 1st and 2nd class wasn't worth the money.

Posted by
1358 posts

I never check luggage for RR travel. When I carried any small luggage on Italian trains I always set it at my feet where I could watch it.

You may place it on an overhead shelf, but be sure you watch it constantly. On an uncrowded train you can place small bags on the seat beside you. Don't leave luggage in the vestibule.

Posted by
521 posts

Hi Justin,

I had a fairly large backpack and it always fit in the overhead luggage rack. Rick Steves has some excellent advice about clipping your bag onto the rack. Most overhead racks have metal bars that you can easily attach your bag to. All I did was clip two or three straps to the bars. Not exactly going to prevent anyone who is determined, but at least I will notice if someone just tried to quickly grab the bag off the top and walk away with it.

As for using "storage" at the train station, there are two types of storage there. Many stations still have lockers, although these are somewhat disappearing in different stations. There usually are two different sizes... ones that fit something like a daypack, and others that you could almost sleep in that usually could hold both of your packs.

If there are no lockers, there usually is a baggage storage desk where you can drop it off to a person and pay the fee. No restrictions on bag sizes here as there is no small locker to stuff them in... but do allow some time as there might be a small lineup, and the staff usually do not see the need to work at breakneck speed.

The only thing I need to ask is - is that suitcase really necessary? If you are pretty much backpacking, anything that cannot fit on your back will quickly become a problem, especially at small towns where the train station probably has no option for storing a bag at all.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

So, many said 2nd class is not worth it. I am about 6ft or so in height. I was thinking more leg room for the longer rides (Brig, Switz to Venice)? More relaxing seats? No? Will be my first time on the rail, so wondering if 1st class provided something extra?
I think it was Steve(n) that had the question about backpacking. The only time we will need to store luggage at all would be in Interlaken on a day trip between Berne and Brig. The winter clothes seem to take away space. Remember, we are used to 75-80 degree weather in the winter. All of our stops, we will be able to go from Train station to our hotel/B&B.
So, most of you would say a suitcase will fit near our legs on the train and not needed to store away? I was wondering how strict they might be about bringing 2 backpacks and one suitcase in our seating area.
Thanks

Posted by
120 posts

When we were travelling by train there were times our luggage fit in the compartment with us, sometimes we could leave it out in the aisle beside us and other times it was stacked in a vestibule area with alot of others! It really seems to depend on the type of train and how full it is. We never had any trouble regardless of where our luggage was - you just have to keep a close watch on it. When we pulled into a station and if our luggage was not beside us we would get up and make sure it was not taken off by someone else!

I also agree that 2nd class is fine. We rode on all manner of trains and they were all comfortable enough. The only thing we did not do is take a night train so not sure how comfortable any sleeping arrangements are.

Posted by
354 posts

If suitcase security on trains is a concern, you could bring a cable lock with you in case the seats around you are taken, or there isn't enough room to keep your suitcase near you. MasterLock has several nice models. Easy to secure a suitcase on the storage rack since the cable lock is strong; and easy to carry around since it is small and lightweight. This would be my last option, though - I would rather be able to see my suitcase during the journey.

Posted by
23273 posts

Six foot is not that tall. I am 6-2 and find 2nd class to be fine. It is not like coach in an airplane. If 6' and 300 lb, then first class is a good idea. You don't gain much in leg room but in width -- 3 seats wide vs. 4 seat wide. As for luggage storage -- relax. There is plenty of room and the overhead rack should be fine. I would attach my bag to the overhead with strap if you bag has one or use a cable lock. That way you can fall asleep and not worry. The suggestion of putting everything at your feet is a little excessive. And it is considered bad taste to put your luggage in a vacant seat.

And we have left lots of luggage in the bins at the end of the car with no problems. We do use a cable lock to secure the bags to something or themselves if there is nothing to attach them to. And there is a lot of unsecured luggage placed there by locals.

The main worry is that someone will grab a bag and run when the train is stopped in a station. Or simply step onto the train and grab a bag. I am sure it has happen but if your bag is secured they are not going to take time to figure out how to unsecure it.

Still it looks like you are taking a lot of luggage.

Posted by
143 posts

Used to buy first class train tickets but now save money and but second class tickets. I think second class seats are perfectly comfortable in Italy, and I am a big guy (6ft, 240lbs.). Perhaps a bit more room but – unlike the tremendous difference between business and coach on a plane, not enough to make a difference IMO. In first, you do get a fold-down work table (if you want to take out your laptop and work), and a steward comes through with freebie sodas/juice and reading materials (in Italian). First seems quieter than second (lots of businesspeople tapping away on laptops or American tourists sleeping) but have met more interesting people in second. Same great views of the Italian countryside rolling away from the windows of both, second saves you money for more gelato.

Posted by
1170 posts

Watch your luggage in Italy, especially while stopping at the Rome and Naples train stations. There are luggage racks in some of the coaches, so try to sit where you can watch them, and I highly recommend a cable lock to lash the bags together and/or to the luggage rack. Pacsafe.com has a nifty retractable combination cable lock.

Posted by
40 posts

I took a wheeled suitcase(carry on size) and a big backpack and had no problems fitting it on the train.

Posted by
215 posts

thank you Justin for posting this.. we will be taking about four trains during our stay in Italy and never thought about the security of the bags on the train during the journey..Everyone has brought up very good suggestions and I will certainly lock them all together (and to something if I can). We all have one carry on each.. (at least they were legal carry on size when I bought them a few years ago...)
thank you again for the insight!

Posted by
12172 posts

Justin,

This is what I pack. It fits in a carry-on and allows me to adjust to a wide temperature range by layering. I carry an Ebags Weekender convertible carry-on and also pack a Civita daypack for daily outings (I don't carry both at the same time).

http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_pack_list/set?id=1440268

The suitcase you're talking about is pretty huge. Possibly to the point of exceeding some airlines limits. When taking the train, you will have to lug it on and off.

A carry-on can stay close to you on the train but you may have to store your suitcase in a space at the end of the car (a lot of different car configurations) which can create a security issue.

As far as 1st vs. 2nd class is concerned, I'm not sure you will notice much difference in legroom. I've ridden both and while there is a little extra seat width in 1st class, I never felt cramped in 2nd class.

There is storage at most train stations but not all.

If I could possibly avoid it, I wouldn't want to lug around a big suitcase. Just lugging it from a train to lodging will be a pain. If you get to a station that doesn't have storage you may be dragging it all day.