Please sign in to post.

Lucca to Venice

We will be in Lucca for a couple of weeks in July with family and friends including our 3 young children. We are planning to leave the kids with their grandparents one night and sleep over somewhere. My wife really wants to see Venice. We can drive or take the train. I was considering driving because we will have a car, it does not look complicated, and I could leave early and be in Venice with a full day as well as leave late the next day. I was wondering about parking when I get to Venice. Do you park in Mestre? Is that difficult? How much does it cost? What times are the lots open to get the car in and out? Or are they automated? Will I likely be able to store our luggage at the hotel that we are staying in for the day before we check in? Any practical thoughts about the trip would be appreciated.

Posted by
32912 posts

Well not a completely full day - the drive will take 3 plus hours, there will be time getting parked and waiting for the train at Mestre, and the short train trip- figure nearly 4 hours. The train does it in 3:40 or so. Further input tomorrow.

Posted by
32912 posts

OK, now to your list of questions: Do you park in Mestre? I do, opposite the station in a multistory. Other contributors prefer to park at Trochetto or P Roma. There have been previous discussions at: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=36514 http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=61791 http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=46490 There are other discussions which you search for using the hints in the Tips and Tricks area as you come into the site. Is that difficult?
I can do it with a British right-hand drive car so its not to difficult. For me I have to have a passenger to get the ticket and put in the ticket to the machine. Lots of turns as you go up the structure to the floor the attendant tells you to go to. No knowledge of parking over the causeway. How much does it cost? See the previous postings. YMMV, some are older posts... What times are the lots open to get the car in and out? See previous postings, use the Internet to inquire currently. Or are they automated? Some are, although, truly, I don't completely understand the question. Will I likely be able to store our luggage at the hotel that we are staying in for the day before we check in? Have you asked your hotel? They may have better information than we can guess.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks, I think. I will assume that, at least in part, that was a good natured response. I appreciate the links and will try another search. The shortest train takes at least 3 and 1/2 hours and still only gets you to Mestre. In addition you can only leave so early and it appears the earliest you could get there is 10:30. By car I could leave as early as I wanted. The added difficulty of driving and parking might not be worth it. I was just trying to get some idea from someone that has done it. As to the hotel. I don't have one yet. I haven't been to Italy or Venice in 17 years and I know that sometimes there are rules and practices in Italy that might catch me by surprise coming from the U.S. Oh, and I guess I should have just asked if the lots were open 24 hours. I guess I was just assuming that if they were they would be open without attendants and would either be accepting credit card payment via machine or just allow you to take a ticket, park and pay when you come to pick up. Again, I'm just trying to not assume that not everything will operate as it does here. While looking things up on the internet is great. I find that getting some input from people that have done it recently adds quite a bit of useful information.

Posted by
32912 posts

The multi story across from Mestre has a machine which issues tickets. There is normally a man who will ask over an intercom, in Italian then English, how long you will be there and then tells you what floor to go to. Take his advice. You may see floors as you go up which look easier but if you check they have special rules. Up the corkscrew to the level suggested. Park. Leave nothing on view. The elevators are a little small - a little dodgy but have always been safe and pretty quick. They have CCTV, Cross the street and find a train to V.S.L. When you return feed the ticket into the machine and pay. I don't remember if it takes cards. Down the corkscrew and out. Sometimes the cross traffic blocks the way out for a few minutes. I've never used the parking on Tronchetto or P Roma. I just remembered - there is often a "wall" of trucks in the slow lane or 2 slow lanes of the Autostrada approaching and through Mestre and it can difficult to see the sign and exit. You need to be careful and observant.

Posted by
32912 posts

The 0650 from Lucca to Firenze SMN, 24 minute change to 0830 Eurostar gets you directly into V SL at 1033. See below: Lucca Tu, 07.06.11 dep 06:50 R 3025 Regionalzug Number of bicycles conveyed limited, 2nd class only, space for wheelchairs Pescia dep 07:09 Montecatini Centro dep 07:16 Montecatini Terme-Monsummano dep 07:19 Pistoia dep 07:32 Prato Porta Serragl. dep 07:44 Prato dep 07:47 Firenze Rifredi dep 08:00 Firenze S.M.N. Tu, 07.06.11 arr 08:06 Transfer time 24 min. Adjust the transfer time Firenze S.M.N. Tu, 07.06.11 dep 08:30 ES 9400 EuroStar Italia Subject to compulsory reservation, Global price, Snacks and beverages available, space for wheelchairs Bologna Centrale dep 09:13 Padova dep 10:07 Venezia Mestre
Venezia Santa Lucia Tu, 07.06.11 arr 10:33

Posted by
1589 posts

" The added difficulty of driving and parking might not be worth it." You just answered your own question, young grasshopper. Maximize the mini trip with your sweetie, by not having to fret over all the car associated issues. Have a great trip!