Please sign in to post.

Lucca to Cinque Terra

We are staying in Florence and are investigating our options for day trips from Florence. Is it possible, or practical is probably a better word, to travel to Lucca, spend some time there, and then travel to Cinque Terra, spend some time there and head back to Florence? Or would that be way too rushed of a day? Thanks!

Posted by
488 posts

You can do it but....like everyone else will say, pick-one and enjoy; trying to jam too many sites into a single-day will result in more time spent traveling and less time enjoying the location. Whats the rest of your itinerary as that'll give a better idea of how much traveling you're doing?

Lucca is just over 60-minutes away from Florence.
Cinque Terre from Lucca is another 60-minutes away, you'll need to change trains in La Spezia.

Posted by
1532 posts

Actually, Lucca to Cinque Terre will probably have two changes, one in Viareggio and one in La Spezia. The travel time from Lucca to, say, Monterosso is around two hours, even more if you are unlucky with waiting times at train changes, IMHO you are trying to cram too much into a single day.

Posted by
11161 posts

Much too much for one day! One day alone for the Cinque Terre is not really enough time.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks guys. That is what I thought. We were initially going to do Pisa and Lucca in one day and then found a Tuscan tour that would take us to Siena, San Gimignano, Chianti and Pisa, so I was looking for something else to do on our day trip to Lucca. Are there any suggestions as to what else to do on our trip to Lucca, or is it better to cut out Pisa from out Tuscan day tour and do Pisa and Lucca together?

Posted by
99 posts

Wow, that Tuscan day tour will really have you running around. Siena itself is worth a full day minimum.
If u have 2 days for day trips I would do Lucca and Pisa on one day and Siena on the other.
Although Siena is magnificent after dark when all day trippers have left.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
2487 posts

Take time to enjoy Siena. From the bus station in Florence (just across the main railway station S Maria Novella) there are frequent departures, bringing you close to the centre of Siena.
Lucca and Pisa are easily combined, Pisa being just half an hour or so from Lucca. (Get off at the Pisa S Rossore station, from where it is hardly a 10-minute walk.)

Posted by
488 posts

Just go to Lucca and spend the entire day there. If you can only do one day trip, than Siena no doubt, but, Lucca should be right up there as #2.

Walk around, get lost, rent a bike and take a leisurely ride on the walls. Visit a tower and take in the view. I spent 5-days there last year and wondered why I hadn't spent any time here during prior trips. While I certainly enjoy Florence, the crowds can be be overwhelming, Lucca was a nice departure from that, especially in the early morning or, evenings when the tourists have departed and the narrow streets return to the locals. Buy some of it's famous olive oil and eat it's unique Tortelli Lucchese.

As for Pisa...skip it. I'm that traveler that finds Pisa highly over-rated and offers nothing other than the Leaning Tower..which is overwhelmed with every idiot traveler taking staged funny photos. Nobody ever returns from Italy raving about Pisa.

Posted by
540 posts

Lucca is well worth a day there. We stayed in Lucca for two nights and one day we did take the train to Cinque Terre and back. That was a nice day trip.

But, Lucca by itself is charming. Riding the bikes along the walls, wandering the streets.

Posted by
1540 posts

Another big fan of Lucca here. I stayed there on and RS Village Italy trip and enjoyed everything about it.
I like the suggestions above ( rent a bike, ride around the top of the walls, climb a couple of towers, enjoy a Puccini concert, food is wonderful.....)

We also did a day trip just outside of Lucca to see several of the very large Italian Villas in the area. One lady sitting in her garden even gave each of a glass of wine or fresh orange juice (our choice.)