Please sign in to post.

Lucca Italy?

Hello, we are a party of 5 adults, traveling from the U.S. to Italy in September. We have one night unaccounted for, traveling from Cinque Terre to Castello Vicchiomaggio, near Greve in Chianti FI. We will depart Cinque Terre on a Sunday, and travel to Castello Vicchiomaggio on a Monday, staying there 3 nights. We are looking for recommendations as to where to overnight enroute. We don't necessarily need to see Pisa, we prefer smaller crowds (especially after crowded Cinque Terre!) Lucca looks interesting, we like the idea of renting bicycles to ride the wall, but not sure what else there is to do there. We realize some points of interest might be closed on Sunday/Monday, so any suggestions as to where we might visit between Cinque Terre and Greve, would be appreciated. We do intend to visit both Florence and Siena while staying at Castello Vicchiomaggio.
Thank you!

Posted by
685 posts

I used one of my "I'm in Florence and everything is closed so I'm day tripping today" days to go to Lucca. It doesn't have the most important historical sites ever, but I always enjoy riding bikes around the walls and wandering the town. I remember popping into a church or two? I had some great Lucchese dishes to eat, and if you spend a late afternoon/evening and a bit of a morning there you can get a nice feel and it will probably be a pleasant stopover on your travels.

Posted by
1388 posts

The exteriors of Lucca's medieval churches are beautiful and interesting. That's what I remember from our staying there many years ago.

Now consider Pistoia, less of a tourist destination than Lucca and a bit closer to Greve Lovely little town with many green and white striped buildings, interesting art, good food, very walkable (pedestrian-only medieval center). Probably our favorite thing there was the Cappella del Tau with late 14th century frescoes that were relatively recently discovered. No one else was in there even though it is free and the paintings have many amusing details. Take binoculars.

Octagonal St. Zeno Baptistery is all brick inside

Cathedral of St. Zeno

Palazzo del Comune

Church of Sant’Andrea

San Giovanni Fuorcivitas

Plant nurseries surround the town

Chocolate factories so there's probably good chocolate there but we didn't have any

Stores might be closed all afternoon, but evenings are lively.

The farmers market is still where it was in medieval days, right in the center of town.

Posted by
2181 posts

I've been to both Lucca and Pistoia and would prioritize Lucca. Its incredible Medieval walls are wonderful and unique.

Posted by
143 posts

If you are interested in Puccini, you can visit his old home and now a museum.

Posted by
799 posts

How would you be getting to Lucca? Will you have a car? Driving and parking in Lucca is not for tourists so if you have a car at this point make sure you've planned ahead.

Lucca is a charming destination and could easily fill a day if exploring the old city center, multiple piazzas, a couple of the churches and riding bikes around the city walls sounds like a good day. The old part is smaller than Siena but larger than many Tuscan hilltowns which also offer these same kinds of exploring opportunities but not a lot in the way of big name sights.

If you have any interest in Pisa you could easily stay in Lucca, see the sites in Pisa as a side trip and then overnight in Lucca. I would also float the idea of either doing Florence as a day trip from Lucca (1 hour by train - usually with a change) or even staying in Florence for your overnight. I know you said you weren't looking for crowds but these 4 nights altogether are your entire Tuscany experience Florence will certainly support more than a day trip with it's many world class museums, churches and attractions.

I really like Lucca and have spent several days there and didn't get bored but Florence is tough to compete with.

Have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
305 posts

If the Sunday you're leaving CT is the 3rd Sunday of the month, there will be an antique market in Lucca. Something else to enjoy in Lucca depending on time of arrival.