Please sign in to post.

Lucca-how hard to get luggage to hotel in traffic free city-taxis allowed in?

Hi everyone-we are staying four nights in Lucca. Concerned about getting a hotel inside the walls and having to shlep my luggage for ten minutes on cobblestones. Any advice? Am I over thinking this? Have read a few hotel reviews mentioning this. Looking for a nice budget hotel under $70 euro. If outside the walls- is it a hassle to walk into the city? Thanks so much for any advice!

Posted by
32203 posts

I've never tried, but AFAIK there will be Taxis from the station into the main part of the city. I stayed at Hotel Rex last time I was there which is right across from the station, so I didn't have to schlep luggage too far. It was most convenient.

I'd suggest deleting your duplicate posts ASAP, so that you keep all replies in the same place.

Posted by
5697 posts

And if a 10-minutes walk over cobblestones is a concern, you may be packing too much (which my husband has reminded me in Sorrento, Rome and Florence) (repeatedly)

Posted by
5382 posts

Having spent considerable time in Lucca, I think it is very important to stay within the walls. We usually rent an apartment from 2Italia. A taxi will get you closer and will be cheap, but is isn't really that far.

Posted by
15165 posts

Yes, I do think you are overthinking this.

What does exactly worry you? That the wheels might make a different tic-tac noise that would bother your ears compared to the noise made by the luggage wheels on asphalt or concrete? Or is it the vibrations of your suitcase caused by the lack of smoothness of the street surface?

Posted by
11613 posts

It's a 10-minute walk from the station to the town inside the walls. Easy. I take a rolling carryon, never have a problem, but it is not overpacked.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks everyone-I appreciate the quick replies. I have a carry on luggage and a large purse type bag. And yes, Roberto, you nailed it- I guess it's all the clacking of the suitcase over the cobblestones! That's what makes me put it in the " shclepping" category.....I never made the connection until you spelled it out....if others have done this and it's not a problem them I'm not going to worry about it. 🙃😃

Also glad to know that a taxi is an option- thanks!

Posted by
13934 posts

Just smile to yourself and say "That's the Rick Steves Rumble"!!

Posted by
16893 posts

A good part of your walk will probably be on modern paving, and it's also flat. Taxis and local cars go inside the walls, just not outsider cars. Since I was driving, I did stay just outside the walls and walk in, no problem, but there was nothing special abut the hotel. Rick's book only lists a couple of places with double rooms in your price range, so that may be a deciding factor.

Posted by
257 posts

Have stayed at B & B Le Violette twice just inside the walls in Lucca, a short walk from the train station. Should be in your price range and run by an ex-pat from Seattle who is very nice.

Posted by
1232 posts

I stayed inside the walls, but on the opposite end of the train station. It was no problem getting a taxi on arrival, and on my 5 AM departure!