Please sign in to post.

Lucca

We will be using Lucca as a base for parts of Northern Tuscany we haven't explored. (We've been to Florence, Sienna, Cinque Terre). Should we look for accommodations inside or outside the walls? We will have a car and I know parking is outside the wall. Any suggestions for must see villages near by?

Posted by
138 posts

We rented a villa with friends outside of Lucca in the hills and drove to the car park on the outside of the walls when we went into Lucca, (during day or night for dinner) never a problem. Took trains to Florence and Cinque Terre, but if you can there are spa towns up in the mountains which are wonderful and Carrara, where the marble comes from, Viareggio is a beach town and Bagni di Lucca has a bridge Ponte del Diavolo The Devils Bridge, then further along that road to the spa towns which are very Italian but wonderful after a week of hiking/touring.

Posted by
503 posts

Because you have a car, staying outside the walls would be best. There's parking lots sprinkled throughout the perimeter of the walls, a bit further outside are longer term lots with all-day fees, some of the entrances just inside have lots for quick dashes and pick-up/drop-offs.

Staying inside has it's charms, however with a car, it's an absolute pain in the rear. Besides the parking challenges and narrow streets, simply knowing where to go once inside is a challenge itself.

Posted by
7737 posts

Since you're planning to use your car for daytrips, have you considered staying at an agriturismo in the area instead? Then Lucca could be one of your day trips.

Posted by
7 posts

Hello Julie, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this conversation about Lucca accommodations. We are staying in Lucca two nights in May on way from Venice to the Cinque Terre -- travelling by train, public transit, and foot while in Italy -- and wondered if RS readers/travelers had experience and recommendations on two B&B's we're looking at in Lucca: Il Seminario and La Romea. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Posted by
396 posts

I love Lucca and think staying inside the walls is the best. I stayed last time at a restored convent that was close to the back wall of the town and very near via Fulingo (sp?)..the main shopping street. The pizza place across the street was fantastic and we loved the experience of being "part of the city" while we were there. Ostella San Fredanio (sp?) was where we stayed. We did venture outside the walls for a wonderful cooking class but, other than that, we enjoyed our time within the walls of one of my favorite towns in Italy.

Posted by
20 posts

Lucca is amazing, and staying inside the walls is part of the charm. My family rented a very charming apartment near the front gate (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1431372) and the hosts were helpful in guiding us to parking, which was a small underground deck a 4 min walk away - inside the gates. Although touristy, biking the wall was really fun.

As for towns nearby, I suggest checking out Pietrasanta and the beaches nearby. Very lovely area, as is the coast up to Cinque Terre. We especially found Levanto charming with a nice compact town center with a nice beach. You can start the Cinque Terre hike from there, or try biking or walking along a former set of railway tunnels to small hidden coves on the beach. Theres a great B&B there called the A. Durmi.