Please sign in to post.

Lucca B&B or hotel?

My wife and I will be in Lucca for three days near the end of September, and I am looking for a B&B or small hotel within the city walls. We will arrive and leave by train, so proximity to the station may be a slight convenience, but a central location is the deciding factor. If anyone has experience with a suitable location just outside the wall, that is OK. Any help and/or testimonials are appreciated, as are ideas for seeing the local area, and any good places to eat.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Robathan

Posted by
2455 posts

Dave, I enjoyed Hotel Rex, right by the train station, but not noisy, and just a few minutes walk to the city wall and gate into the center of town. I arrived by train, also had an early departure by train my final day, and went to Pisa for an afternoon, also by train, so the hotel was very convenient. Nice room, good breakfast, affordable rates, in 2013 they offered a Rick Steves discount if you mentioned that when you booked. I also enjoyed dinner at Trattoria da Leo, although it appears the reviews are quite mixed. Lucca is a very liveable and relaxing town, one highlight being time up on the very wide walls, really a park up there, for walking, jogging, biking, picnics, etc. also, there is some type of Puccini musical performance just about every evening, he's the home town boy.

Posted by
32198 posts

I also stayed at Hotel Rex and would certainly recommend it. It's not a long or difficult walk to reach the main part of the city, and being close to the train was very convenient.

Posted by
5371 posts

We have spent significant time in Lucca. Do yourself a favor and stay within the walls. It will be such a nicer experience. Lucca is a small town anyway, so you don't need to literally stay next to the station. Hotel Rex is ok, but the immediate surroundings are lacking. Aren't you going for the ambiance? Il Seminario B&B is lovely. We have also had excellent experiences with renting great apartments from 2Italia. Google them.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks all for the information. The Rex hotel was booked, but I did find a nice B&B within the walls that was well-reviewed.