Please sign in to post.

Lucca/Montefioralle and other smaller towns

How much time is needed to see Lucca? We will not be able to stay overnight in Lucca.

What about Montefioralle? These would be done on separate days. Any other suggestions? We have done all the big cities and museums so we would rather see smaller towns.
Thanks

Posted by
58 posts

You can enjoy Lucca in one full day, seeing the central core and walking the walls(about 2 miles around). We had 1 1/2 days there( plus a day trip to Pisa from Lucca). This made it more relaxed but one full day is do-able. We very much liked the town. Interesting architecture, plenty to do for a couple days but not overwhelming.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would say a full day in Lucca would be fine - you can hike or bike the walls, visit some beautiful and ancient churches, and have some great food. Just walking around is a great way to spend some time. If you can work in a Puccini concert, they are held in the afternoons sometimes as well as in the evenings.

Posted by
396 posts

I love Lucca and don't think one day is enough BUT, if that is all you have, bike or walk the ramparts. Check out Di Simo Caffe on via Fillungo #58. Puccini was a patron of this café. It is his hometown. The concerts in the San Giovanni church nightly perform his music. YOu can climb the clock tower for E3.50. There is a great view of the city from there.

Karren

Posted by
16893 posts

You can get the feel of Lucca in a day trip or half-day stop. The circular route around the wall is 2.5 miles, so most people can walk it in an hour. Lack of any big, must-see sites means you can wander flexibly during the rest of your time.

Posted by
32 posts

The day we spent in Lucca was my family's favorite of our entire last trip. Don't miss the cathedral in Lucca - San Michele. It may be one of my favorites, even over the duomo in Siena. I believe it is a fine example of the Romanesque style. My kids were entranced.
The thing that made the day so fun was sampling the sweet-shops on the main walking street in Lucca, as well as renting a 4-person bicycle and circling the medieval walls together. I rolled video on the last part and I was laughing so hard the entire video shakes the whole time. Have fun!