Please sign in to post.

Lost 1,200 euro in official white taxi from Firenze airport! Need contact # for taxi.

Please help! We had reached our apartment rental, I am paying the driver in cash, this is when my 11 year old daughter realizes she has lost her ring. She opens her door and is standing in the busy road with mopeds speeding past her; crying and I am trying to get everything back in my bag after I pay taxi driver. driver is now flipping back seats up, I am bending over searching for her ring. We do not find it, he needs to leave. We had to wait over an hour on the street for manager to meet us with keys. Did Not know money envelope must have fallen out of my bag until we went grocery shopping, two hours later! how do I contact taxi company? Looked online, can not find a #. i think the number on taxi was 149 and it was white with red fleur de lis.

This was a transit day. normally I never have all cash in one place. I have to pay each airbrb for clean, taxes, sheets and towels upon check in, which is the only reason I had so much cash for our two weeks i Italy. Have traveled to 48 countries in last 15 years, this has never happened to me. I was in Mommy mode, but should have made sure all bags were zipped.

Posted by
1946 posts

sounds like a truly horrible day.

What i will suggest is that you go to the website of the airport and see if the taxi service is listed under ground transportation

Or you say the taxi company is "official white taxi" from the airport. If it is possible, call airport customer service and ask contact information for the white taxi.

Posted by
2749 posts

Honestly. You can call Lost and Found, but the truth is you just need to accept this money’s gone. I hate that for you, but it’s cash. It’s your word against the cab drivers - it’s gone. Sorry if he had realized he found it he probably would’ve come back to where you are. If you even lost it in the cab. (I thought Airbnb requires you to pay through the Airbnb site? )

I think all this really is now is a cautionary story for everyone else. On transit days valuables go in the money belt and you never take a lot of cash because once it’s gone, it’s gone.😞. It’s a lot better to go to the ATM and get the cash you need for your next location then take it all with you. I hope that this doesn’t ruin your entire vacation. I’m sure it will put a damper on it.

Posted by
23343 posts

There is also the probability that the cab driver doesn't find it but the next passenger does. It is cash. I have to admit that I found a 50 pound note under the mat in the hotel safe. Don't even think about taking it to the front disk. Sorry about you bad luck. For other readers this just drives home the point of proper usage of money belts or at least very secure methods for large sums of money. The fact that it has happened before just means you have been lucky and we all can be unlucky once or twice.

Posted by
15269 posts

The taxicabs in Florence are all white with the iris symbol of Florence regardless of company.
As lachera wrote, there are two taxi dispatch companies, all taxi codes are the name of a City plus a number. I think one of the two companies uses only Italian city names, the other European city names.
As noted above there is no guarantee that you lost the envelope in the car, you could have lost it at the airport before or while getting in the cab. So even assuming the cab driver has a conscience and is an honest person, nobody can tell that the taxi driver has it. You can try the two telephone numbers, but without the proper name of the cab, it will be hard for the company to pinpoint the specific driver. That happens only if you called before, but if you just walked to the stand, I don't know how they would identify the taxi without the city+number name

Posted by
4678 posts

driver is now flipping back seats up, I am bending over searching for her ring

Having done a moderate search of the taxi for the ring, I would have thought you would also have spotted an envelope with cash. Unless you dropped it in the front seat and were searching for the ring in the back seat. Still, I'm wondering if it was lost elsewhere. Which doesn't make it easier to find.

Walk backwards through the day. Did you pay the taxi driver with money from the envelope, or had you already lost the envelope by then?

Posted by
21 posts

Yahooooooo!!!! There are kind and honest people in this world. Police contacted novasol/airbnb host, who then relayed message to me that Money was found in airport taxi and taken to airport lost and found on the day I lost it, Sept 27. Did not find out about this until 9:00 p.m. on night before departure from Firenze. Missed our train to Venice next morning, losing 120 in nonrefundable train tickets, but was so worth it to get our money! Bless you, kind stranger, whoever you are. We booked another train later that day.

Lesson learned, when taking a taxi, keep cash to pay driver in a separate pocket away from all other cash, so when I get it out, no way other cash could get lost. Have to admit, traveling with only my little girl and not as a family unit with all four of us, husband, son ,daughter and me, is a very different experience. I am in Mommy protective mode 100% of the time , but also need to remember to travel smart :)

Posted by
3968 posts

Very good news indeed! Thanks for updating us.

Posted by
14059 posts

Wow, that is great to hear! You got an honest next passenger and honest driver.

You can also pay cabs with a CC. At the airport I hold my card up before I get in the cab and say OK? so there will be no "my machine is broken" nonsense.

Posted by
7346 posts

I’m so glad your “Happy Mommy” name is continuing to describe you! I hope the rest of your trip is fantastic!

Posted by
11367 posts

Incredible! Think of all the hands that passed through. Honest hands!

Posted by
3051 posts

So glad to hear of this happy ending.

There are so many "red flags" here that MANY people do. Getting the money and not securing in money belt. Allowing child to take a valuable ring on a trip.

You should write a "lessons learned" post.

In 2019, we were flying to Europe. There was a family in front of us, from some Francophone African country. Mom, 3 YO, 9 YO. On Air France, you get a champagne cocktail, and I will sipping mine when 3 YO reaches thru seat gap and spills it on me - luckily white wine. Then at 3 AM, woman realizes that she has lost a valuable earring. Everyone is asleep. She starts loudly crying, pulls out a flashlight, starts looking around. Looks thru our seat pockets. The crew is of NO HELP. Amazing, infuriating.

Lesson: DON'T WEAR VALUABLE JEWELRY ON A PLANE.

Posted by
21 posts

The ring was not valuable in sense of money, but had a lot of sentimental value to my child. She was very upset and has some mental health issues. Airports can be difficult for her. So, I know if she gets to phase 5, which she was at phase 4 with mopeds speeding past, that I had to react fast to avoid a complete melt down in the middle of the street. He said I could not pay with card, or I would have. Excellent idea to always ask this question before getting in the taxi. Long line for taxis, and we were being herded by airport staff towards taxi and I forgot to ask.

So very thankful for kind people on this forum. I view every mistake made as an opportunity to learn how I can improve.

Posted by
915 posts

Wow! I'm so glad for you. Now you can enjoy the rest of your trip.
On another note, I'm not sure why you had so much cash since I haven't read all the comments. I was told years ago by the Airbnb owner who we had to pay in cash for our flat that we should get the cash from an atm around the corner from the flat and to never carry a large sum on us either from our home or an airport atm, etc. From then on, we've always asked the flat owner where the nearest atm is nearest their flat.

Posted by
104 posts

omg I read the headline and post first, just about had a heart attack for you, then read the outcome. What a travel story you are your daughter can share later!!!!

Posted by
381 posts

Question: Wait a second - aren't cash payments against the AirBnB terms of service?

If something goes wrong you have no recourse to get your money back. And businesses in Italy are required by law to accept credit card. I'm very confused by all of this.

I am glad you found the envelope but it could have all been avoided if you had paid electronically

Posted by
4898 posts

Happy Mommy had a very traumatic experience. Fortunately, it had a happy resolution and, according to her own post, "lesson learned". No need for chastisment nor advice no matter how well intended. Instead, why not raise a glass to the happy ending?

Posted by
20 posts

There are many rentals and prepaid hotels where you have to bring cash for local taxes and fees at checkin.

And the term AirBnb is used loosely a lot to describe every type of vacation rental. Couldve been an agency or local private rental.

Posted by
21 posts

The company is Novasol. It is a European airbnb type of business. I do NOT recommend them. Bergen, Norway property is the only one that was really nice, as advertised, excellent host. Would stay there again! That Norway Novasol property can also be booked on airbnb. Properties in Firenze, Roma and Palermo have all had multiple issues and very unprofessional hosts/lack of communication. When I asked Novasol to help , no help at all. I booked with them because I had a lot of wyndham/worldmark credits I needed to use or lose and travelshare (part of Wyndham) uses Novasol not airbnb.

I own several airbnbs in US and Mexico. Would never treat my clients the way these hosts do.

Posted by
2749 posts

There are ATMs all over Europe. Had you lost the only the Euros you needed for the "clean towels" (what a ripoff imho) and taxi then this would have been dramatically less scary. You got very lucky. I once met a family at CDG begging Delta to let them on a plane because they lost all their cash and could not afford to stay in Europe.

I hope that's the lesson everyone else takes away from this. There's NO need to travel with 1,200 Euros in 2023.

Posted by
745 posts

No need for chastisment nor advice no matter how well intended. Instead, why not raise a glass to the happy ending?

Amen. She's learned her lesson - no need for additional advice.