Please sign in to post.

Looking for advice

My wife and I received as a gift round trip airline tickets to and from Milan. We have never been to Italy before and need advice on planning a 14 day trip. I personally would like to visit Trieste because I was born there and would like to see it. Also we would like to see Venice, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Naples, Rome and maybe the Amalfi Coast. Is all this doable in 14 days. Also could we do this with a combination of train and rental car?

Posted by
4152 posts

I'm sorry but all of that isn't really possible in just two weeks. If you're two weeks includes travel to Italy and arrival and departure days then you're really looking at 11 full days and partial days on your arrival and departure days. The first day or two you'll be jet lagged so you need to take that into account.

Venice is really out of the way compared to the other areas you mention. The train from Venice to the CT takes over 6 hours. You don't say where in Tuscany you want to do so it's hard to comment on that part of the trip.

Since you fly out of Milan you'll need to be there the night before your flight back home. I would suggest:

Landing- go to CT, then Florence, then Rome then back to Milan. This will give you about 3 days in each city when you take travel into account.

Donna

Posted by
16409 posts

That is too much for 14 days; you will spend fully half your time just moving from place to place. You are fine with Trieste ( head there first then work your way south), Venice, and Tuscany ( a car is desirable here but do not try to drive into Florence). After that, you need to choose between Cinque Terre versus Rome--- do you want a relaxing spot with gorgeous scenery, or an historic city with world-Class Roman antiquities and religious sites/art?

I would say you do not have time for Naples or the Amalfi Coast. Remember to allow time to return to Milan for your departing flight--- travel the day before and overnight in Milan to see the Duomo.

Posted by
4378 posts

From Rome, it is possible to take a long day bus trip to Pompei with a drive on the Amalfi coast. I was glad I did it.

Posted by
11613 posts

You are thinking of seven stops in two weeks. Not a good idea unless you want only memories of train stations and highways.

It would still be rushed, but you might go directly to Venezia, spend a couple of nights; then Trieste for a couple of nights; then Firenze, Roma, and back to Milano.

Two nights is less than two days, even if cities are only a couple of hours apart.

Posted by
16409 posts

Donna---since Trieste appears to be a "must", Venice is not out of the way at all.