Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Venice

We will be in Venice in mid-January. What recommendations to you have for a B&B, hotel or apartment. We don't want to stay at St Mark's Square, but would like to be within walking distance. Thank you!

Posted by
3580 posts

I stayed at a small hotel a couple of bridges past Piazza San Marco a few years ago. Ca' del Dose. It is a family-run hotel and sometimes has special rates in the winter. It is near a vaporetto stop and close to a large piazza and the grand canal.

Posted by
354 posts

Earlier this year I stayed at a B&B called La Chicca, in Dorsoduro near the Accademia. Very nice experience. It's a pleasant 20-minute walk to Piazza San Marco.

Posted by
61 posts

Hotel Piave in Venice. It is only minutes to St Marks and the Rialto bridge but is in a fairly quiet area. I would recommend!

Posted by
61 posts

Hotel Piave in Venice. It is only minutes to St Marks and the Rialto bridge but is in a fairly quiet area. I would recommend!

Posted by
11337 posts

Hi Joe. We liked Ai Tagliapietra, a 5 minutes walk from Piazza San Marco. http://www.aitagliapietra.com/homepage.htm. Lorenzo is a fabulous host, and the location is very conveneint overall. Venice in winter shoudl be a piece of cake for a Minnesotan! This former Minnesotan is going there in December. :-) I fgiure it can't be any wetter than Portland.

Posted by
201 posts

I'm interested in accomodation in Venice as well. I've looked at your suggestions, but, I'm wondering, wouldn't it be unique to stay in a place that overlooks one of the canals? There are so few places in the world where you can do that...

Posted by
105 posts

Joe, We also stayed an the Ai Tagliapietra and loved it. Lorenzo is a superb host, and the hotel is in a really nice location. It is a short walk from San Marco, but is hidden away enough to be quiet and away from the crowds. Ted

Posted by
72 posts

Check out Palazzo Duodo. We stayed there in 2006 and had a wonderful time. There is a main hotel where we got the key and then we walked to the B&B. It was a couple flights of steps but oozed with charm. Great breakfast and in easy walking distance of Piazza San Marco. Make sure you specify the B&B, I think it is called B&B Duodo Gregolin.

Posted by
117 posts

Well, first of all, all of Venice is within walking distance. It's just not a big city at all. This last trip we stayed at Hotel Ca'Dogaressa. An easy 10 minute walk from the train station and about 20-30 minute walk to St. Marks. That may be a bit farther from St. Marks than most people are looking for, but the upside is you'll be staying in a mostly residential area (i.e. quieter, friendlier people, better resturaunts and cheaper prices). And the walk to St. Marks is actually very entertaining - you'll see parts of Venice most tourists don't ever see. There's a vaparetto stop just outside the hotel, plenty of resturaunts/cafes and they have rooms that overlook the canal (not the grand canal, but a canal). Run by super, super nice folks. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted by
784 posts

We stayed in a fantastic 2 bedroom apartment situated between the Rialto Bridge and St. Marks Square. If you are familiar with Venice, the entrance to the apartment is right across from the Goldoni theatre, hence the apartment name, Ca' Goldoni. I believe I found this apartment on HomeAway.com. It was great to have a kitchen for some meals; because Venice is truly expensive. We shopped at the Rialto Fish Market and at the local grocery store (called COOP, not to far from apartment) and were able to at least eat some meals in.

Posted by
7737 posts

Consider Pensione Guerrato near the Rialto Bridge. We've stayed there twice and it's an RS favorite (with good reason). Venice is so compact that practially everything is within walking distance.

Posted by
238 posts

I've stayed at hotels and B&B's in Venice and much prefer apartments. We paid 165 euros per night for a 2 bedroom five minutes from the Square and it was wonderful. There are many other decent apartment rentals at all. I rent all my properties in Italy from vrbo.com. Read the reviews carefully and you'll do fine. If there aren't at least 5 great reviews, I don't even consider them. You can get a 1 BR apt for even less. And you will be in walking distance of San Marco no matter where you stay in Venice.

Posted by
11 posts

See if one of the two apartments at ai Greci (http://www.aigreci.com/indexing.html) is available. I stayed here two years ago for more than a week, and am returning in two weeks for another 8 days. Owner Alessandra speaks very good English, and will answer any questions you may have about Venice. Near everything, easy to get to and on the 3rd floor (walkup). Kitchenette is perfect for your own meal prep. Quiet, modern, clean - wonderful!! Contact is via email: info@aigreci.com. Have a wonderful time! Terry
(independent, female traveller)

Posted by
46 posts

We stayed at Alla Vite Dorata. It is in the Cannaregio district and it is a very nice place with 6 rooms. We would definitely go back there again. As we were walking thrugh the various neighborhoods, we also liked Dorsuduro. The area around the Accademia and east would allow easy access to St Marks. Lee

Posted by
28 posts

We stayed in a person's home about 2 blocks from Ospedale vaporetti stop. We found it on Airbnb. While it was said we could get to St. Marks in 10 minutes, we always got lost (delightfully so) and it took usually an hour. Our hostess was Stefania Mazza <stefyma19@gmail.com>. The home was fully furnished with WiFi, and a small patio on the roof. Ran about $150 per night.

Posted by
84 posts

Regarding Bob's suggestion, "but the upside is you'll be staying in a mostly residential area (i.e. quieter, friendlier people, better resturaunts and cheaper prices). And the walk to St. Marks is actually very entertaining - you'll see parts of Venice most tourists don't ever see." Based on this I am planning to be a rebel and stay in Lido, I will know soon. I stay at Villa Albertina on the 19th but I am concerned. they don't respond to emails. I hope that Booking.com can get some directions from them and clarify that I won't get the basement. The reviews warn about their basement. LOL.
MM