Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Siena

We hope to spend one night in Siena next spring and would appreciate suggestions(pro and con)regarding Siena hotels.

Posted by
290 posts

Grant, we stayed at the Albergo Bernini in May (one of RS's recommendations) and it was very pleasant, reasonably priced with a great rooftop view. It is very popular, so reserve early or they will be booked up. They accept only cash, no CC's. Try to extend your visit if you can; Siena is easily worth 2 or 3 days. Ash

Posted by
606 posts

It would help to know what type lodging you're looking for. An expensive place with lots of amenities? A cheap but clean & safe place?

When we were there, we stayed at Piccolo Hotel Etruria, a Rick Steves recommendation. It's nothing fancy, more in the clean and safe category, but it offers a location that's probably unbeatable, just a few steps from Il Campo.

My TripAdvisor review of the hotel is HERE.

But if you have a car, I'd recommend you stay at some place outside the old city center, since driving into that area is hard (a maze of crowded, narrow streets) and it's in the traffic control area that causes complications with entering the area. You can walk or take a taxi downtown if you're staying outside of downtown.

If you don't have a car, staying inside the old city center is great.

Posted by
111 posts

We stayed at Borgo Grondaie, taxi 8-10 euro to town cnter. Gorgeours private ground, pool, parking, 2 bedroom with kitchen 218 euro a night. They also have smaller unit. Can't praise enough.

Posted by
65 posts

We have stayed at Hotel Santa Caterina twice, 5/09 and 2/08. It is right outside of Porta Roma and it's a 10-15 minute walk to the Campo. Very nice hotel. Since we had a car this worked out great for us. And I also would recommend staying more than one night.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Grant,

I second Ash's recommendation for Albergo Bernini--it was a nice place to stay in Siena.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks to all who have replied. As to some specifics, we will arrive either by bus or train, so staying inside or close to the city center is probably best for us. We are not looking for luxury, but a private bath, comfortable bed and cleanliness are priorities.

Posted by
606 posts

Based on your description of your needs, I do think Piccolo Hotel Etruria would be good for you.

Most of their rooms do have bathroom in the room, but one or two have their bath across the hall, so if you book there, be sure to specify that you want a your bathroom in the room with you.

Posted by
32214 posts

Grant,

Another vote for Albergo Bernini. I found the room very comfortable, and sitting in the sunshine on the breakfast patio overlooking the city and other sites was great. The family that owns the Albergo are wonderful, but as someone else noted they only accept cash.

Albergo Bernini is also in a great location. It's only a short walk from the Bus depot and an easy walk to "Il Campo" and other sites.

Which city will you be in prior to Siena? I'd suggest taking the Bus, as passengers are dropped right in town rather than at the bottom of the hill where the rail station is located. On my last visit I arrived by Bus but departed by train (the Hotel called a Taxi to run me down the hill to the station).

Happy travels!

Posted by
411 posts

Hi Grant
Siena is a wonderful city--- you'll have a great time. Our favorite place to stay in Siena is Alma Domus. It's often incorrectly identified as a former convent--- actually it never was though the actual building is church owned. It's an easy walk from the bus (if you're arriving by bus) has clean comfortable rooms with private bath, is close to shops and some wonderful restaurants and has the most fabulous views. You can pay extra and have the breakfast included but we never do as we like to find a small cafe (Nannini is our favorite). We've also stayed at Palazzo Bruchi which we also loved. It's more expensive than Alma Domus but very charming. Breakfast is included and there is a small comunal kitchenette that makes preparing a small meal or picnic easy.We've also stayed at Hotel Garden. It's a fair hike away from the historic center but the grounds are spectacular and the breakfast was the best I've ever had anywhere in the world!We tried staying at the Albergo Bernini three years ago but had problems with the way they reserve your rooms. You are expected to send a US dollar money order---but given the Italian mail system that's really a bit of a crap shoot. Apparently our money order didn't arrive before we did and the morning we were coming to Siena from Florence we got an email telling us they'd cancelled our reservations. I would also check out their reviews on Trip Advisor as they are a bit mixed on cleanliness.

Posted by
11 posts

We stayed at Villa Elda this June since Albergo Bernini was booked. It is recommened in Rick's book. Lovely! It is a couple minute walk to the huge San Domenico church, and about a 10 minute walk through the medieval streets to the Campo. Villa Elda was one of favorites stays! Perfect for our 3 night stay with countryside daystrips and late afternoon and evening jaunts in Siena. Siena is not that large and in 1 day we saw main Siena sights, but had 2 other evenings. Siena is wonderful!

Posted by
2026 posts

We liked our stay at Palazzo Bruchi last September. Nothing fancy, but well located and friendly. The owner urged us to take the bus from Florence to Siena..excellent advice, as the bus drops you right in town and the train station is further away and not nearly as convenient. You may consider this too depending on your travel plans. Siena is beautiful.

Posted by
2091 posts

In 2002 we stayed at Albergo Bernini which we enjoyed--especially the terrace with our coffee. I did have a difficult time sleeping though due to the noise in the streets. In 2007 there were 3 of us so we split the cost of a triple at Il Chiostro del Carmine. Il Chiostro del Carmine is lovely but a bit of a walk to get to; Albergo Bernini is close-by and very handy.
For next year I am considering Palazzo Masi or Albergo Bernini.