Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Siena

Any information on staying at "Alma Domus" or "Albergo Bernini" in Siena? I know both are in Rick's book...has anyone stayed at either? Any better suggestions for Siena?
Thanks again, Jo

Posted by
74 posts

I'm sure those suggestions will be wonderful - I just wanted to let you know that in a couple weeks we'll be staying at the Agriturismo Marciano. They have been really great with pre-planning, their reviews are excellent, and it should be a really different sort of stay. They make their wine, olive oil, and other sorts of things and also offer a fun long dinner if you want it. We are really looking forward to the experience.

Posted by
247 posts

Lauren,
I would really love to do that but we won't be renting a car. For bus and train we need to stay in town. Thanks

Posted by
290 posts

Another vote for Albergo Bernini, wonderful place. You need to make reservations early as they tend to fill up. Also, they don't take credit cards; we had to mail them a check for the first night to hold the reservation. If you want an ensuite room be sure to specify as they have rooms with and rooms without bath.

Posted by
10249 posts

Jo - If Agriturismo Marciano sounds interesting to you, you might want to really consider it. We are staying there in September and I have read all the reviews on Trip Advisor. It seems to be very close to Siena. People have talked about walking or taking the bus or a cab into town. It is the place I am most looking forward to staying in on our 3 week trip.

Posted by
1289 posts

We stayed at Alam Domus and requested a view room. It was great. It is more "institutional" that a hotel (feels more like a college dorm) and they only have twin beds. However, for the location and the money, it can't be beat. We were on a 5 week trip and our lodging budget was on the "tight" side. This was the perfect place for us.

Posted by
1446 posts

Regarding Agriturismo Marciano, we stayed there last September & it was definitely a highlight of our trip. It was a unique experience. Even though we had a car, we didn't drive to walled Siena; we took a taxi (approx 10 min by taxi) because parking near the walls was tough. The agriturismo experience is very relaxing and we enjoyed meeting and talking with the other guests around the farmhouse table every morning at breakfast. The optional dinners were to die for & were the best meals we had during our entire trip. If you can swing it, I don't think you'd be disappointed with Agriturismo Marciano.

Posted by
77 posts

I stayed at the Agriturismo Marciano, it was great. Really rustic and beutiful stone home. They produce their own wine and olive oil, they will give you a tour. The sister/ owner, forgot her name will cook dinner once in a while, make sure you ask how much, but her food is amazing and its so nice to sit around the table with other travelers. We stayed in the yellow room, loved it. No phone, and no internet service so make sure thats ok with you. To walk in to the city is kind of far but not to bad. We toured Tuscany from there, everything is close, drive through the val d'orcia, fantastic!!! Chianti is 20 mins away.