Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Lucca

I've read Rick's recommendations, but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with any B&B's or ? in Lucca that they would recommend. I am looking for something costing no more than 80 euros per night.

Thanks

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Andrea. I don't have experience with a B&B in Lucca but we did stay at a decent hotel called Hotel Melecchi. The hotel is located outside the city walls & is a short walk from the hotel to the city walls. It worked out well for us because we had a rental car and the hotel offered parking. The hotel was basic but very clean and included breakfast. The hotel is family run and the father and son were very nice and helpful. We paid 72 euros/night including breakfast (last September). You can see the ratings on TripAdvisor are very good. To book, you simply e-mail the hotel at [email protected]

Have a wonderful time in Lucca!

Posted by
3313 posts

I can also endorse the Hotel Melecchi. It is family run and they are all proud of their hotel. It is two blocks outside of the city walls and has its own gated parking lot. The rooms are big and clean and they have a good breakfast where Giovannni, the son, is happy to help with advice for your day.

The drawback is that isn't in the walled city itself. But the low rates compensate for that. There are some great restaurants on the way into the center of town.

Posted by
10244 posts

Wow...Hotel Melecchi seems to be just what we are looking for. A couple of questions about it - How far is it from the train station and do they have bikes for people to use? Someone on Trip Advisor mentioned the free bike hire they have.

Posted by
3313 posts

I'd estimate a 20 minute walk from the train station. As far as bikes, they have some to lend. There's also a bike rental agency just inside the walls.

Posted by
72 posts

We have stayed at Al Tuscany twice and like it. It is very centrally located in the center of the historic part of town and the staff is very personable. The breakfast is very good. Check out their site www.altuscany.it.

Posted by
320 posts

Andrea:

There is a hostel - a nice hostel - inside the old city walls. Ostello San Frediano. We have stayed there. There are family rooms (A double bed, an upstairs loft with two twins and a bathroom with shower).

The hostel has a website.

It is very inexpensive. It is located in a former convent.

We even had the 1.50 euro breakfast (old bread, butter, coffee). Although we are not hostel type travelers - we would certainly stay there again.

Have fun.