Please sign in to post.

Livorno Cruise port to Florence

Good Afternoon,
I will be on a cruise Nov 30 2019, that arrives in Livorno at 9am and will depart at 8pm. We are looking to go into Florence and spend as much time as possible (I am aware it is about a 80 minute drive each way). I am looking to see both of the big art museums and to explore the city a bit. I know you can't see it all in 1 day, but what is the appropriate time. to spend in the city to accomplish this? We are also looking for the most cost effective way to go round trip while getting the most out our time. I know that I've seen a shuttle for 40 euros that will take you but your only in city for about 4hrs & 45 minutes & leave at 345pm. I am not sure that will be enough time. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Posted by
20030 posts

There is a Regionale Veloce train every hour from Livorno Centrale at 12 past the hour. Cost is 9.90 EUR per person and take 1 hour and 20 minutes to Florence SMN.
Return trains are at 28 past the hour, plus more trains since it is rush hour.

You could make the 10:12 train to Florence, arriving at 11:32. The latest train you should take is the 17:28 which gets to Livorno at 18:46. Remember, you have to get from the ship to Livorno Centrale, which is across town from the harbor. So that gives you a bit less than 6 hours in Florence.

Posted by
11133 posts

And you need to pre book tickets to L’Accademia and the Iffizi ahead of time. Get them ASAP.

Posted by
15 posts

With those museums , where is beet place to get the tickets? I saw on viatour some skip the line tickets and guided tours. What is best?

Posted by
1075 posts

Check out http://www.tuscanybus.com/ - they do a good job. Having been to both Florence and Pisa i think Pisa is a much better cruise day trip. The Florence museums are crowded and the drive can be way longer due to traffic. You may want to consider a cruise ship excursion that has prepurchased tickets and guaranteed return-to-ship times.

Posted by
1005 posts

I also recommend TuscanyBus for trips from Livorno. They are much cheaper than a cruise ship excursion and guarantee that you will be back on your ship in time. Florence is about a two-hour drive from Livorno, so expect to spend at least four hours in the bus--limiting your time in the city. Since Pisa is much closer to Livorno, you might consider that option instead. But if you have your heart set on Florence, then you should also buy your tickets in advance for the Uffizi and Academia.

Posted by
1526 posts

During the next 12 months, the drive may be an half hour longer as there are works on the highway generating long queues daily.

Posted by
2107 posts

So it looks like you’ll have 4 hours on the outside, but maybe as little as 3.

I suggest you walk around the city and get a feel for the ambience of the city.

There’s few places on earth I love more than Florence (my wife and I shared our first kiss there). Trying to see any of it in 3 hours is an exercise in futility.

Posted by
33 posts

I'm going to be on a cruise in November that stops in Livorno too. The difference is that my ship stays in port overnight so we don't have to rush back and we have a second day to tour. Tuscany Bus leaves Florence for Livorno at 4:00 PM anyway.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding touring Florence and what to do on the second day inport?

Posted by
15800 posts

fishr, best to start a new thread with your question, versus hijack this poster's, as your situation is completely different. :O)