Please sign in to post.

Liberation Day

With Liberation Day being on Monday, April 25, I wonder if most celebrations (parades, etc) will be held over the preceding weekend as often is the case in the U.S.? We will be in Pescara area from April 22-25, leaving via train (hopefully, since we already have tickets), on the 25th to Rome and on to Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
11613 posts

Trains should run as scheduled; if you already have hotel reservations, you could ask what the festivities usually are. I don't know if events will be scheduled on Saturday/Sunday rather than on Monday (your hotel will know), so count on a three-day weekend.

Posted by
15238 posts

I doubt there will be any celebrations on the weekend prior to April 25. On the 25 April itself they usually hold just political rallies and gatherings in the city's main piazzas organized by parties on the left side of the political spectrum, often with the participation of former partisans (those who are still alive, since they are now at least 90 y.o.). At those rallies you have some politicians or labor union leader giving the usual rhetorical speech against the evils of fascism and to remember the sacrifice of those who fought for liberty and democracy. Then of course you have the parties on the far right, who don't like that holiday at all, since they think Mussolini was the greatest leader Italy had. So overall it's just another day off work, not much more.

Posted by
1590 posts

This can depend on where you are. Two years ago my wife and I were in Milan on Liberation Day. There was a large open air market near the Storfza Fort and the square in front of the Doumo was taken up completely by a concert.

Posted by
285 posts

I'll be in Venice on this day, anything I should know about or be aware of?