Please sign in to post.

leonardo express

I just wanted to know if anyone has figured out how to purchase tickets from FCO to Roma Termini on the Leonardo Express(direct express train) in advance vs at the FCO airport. thanks.

Posted by
1206 posts

I've taken the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini maybe 6 times in the last 4 years. The easiest for me is to follow the signs and escalators from the airport to the train station, then purchase my LE ticket from a guy in a travel booth right there in the train station lobby. (I don't stop at the train ticket desk and kiosk in the airport, as there seems to be always a line there.) Since the trains leave every 20 minutes or so, they never sell out, there are no reserved seats, and pre-purchase might not even be possible.

Posted by
3112 posts

You can buy them online using the Trenitalia website but, because they come pre-validated with a 4-hour travel window, there's a risk that they could expire if your flight arrives a few hours late. I believe you can also buy them upon landing using the Trenitalia app, and hopefully someone who has used the app will comment on their experience. There's no discount for advance purchase of Leonardo Express tickets.

It's also very easy to buy tickets at FCO. There are ticket kiosks just before the underpass to the train station, kiosks at the train station, an official FS ticket window at the train station and at least 3 travel agency booths at the train station that sell Leonardo Express tickets for the same price as the kiosks and official ticket window.

Posted by
23177 posts

Absolutely no reason to purchase tickets in advance. There is no discount, no seat reservations. It is just an airport train. Buy the ticket at the machine, the ticket office, or the Tobacco shop --- AND ----- DO NOT forget to validate the ticket prior to boarding.

Posted by
3812 posts

Like all other Trenitalia trains, LE's tickets can be purchased on Trenitalia's site. There isn't much to figure out, except that the above messages are right and buying in advance tickets for airport trains is pointless.

Posted by
15677 posts

Suzi, as Frank said, it is recommended NOT to purchase train tickets in advance of an arrival day. The risk of flight cancellations or airport delays are greatest on those days so just buy your tickets when you get to FCO.

Posted by
7 posts

thanks--all very helpful
how about credit card to purchase the tickets or should we make sure to have cash on hand? I believe they will be E14 each.
thanks!

Posted by
3812 posts

For sure automatic machines accept Chip & pin credit cards , do you have one? If not try at the counter.

Posted by
23177 posts

Your credit card PROBABLY will work at the ticket window. More than likely it will not work at a ticket machine. Personally we just use cash as we find it easier and more convenient but others believe in credit cards only. Whatever you are the most comfortable doing. Both work pretty well. Although I have never had cash rejected.

Posted by
2047 posts

You can buy the tickets at the official Trenitalia widow at the FCO train. But if the ticket line is long, you can also buy tickets at the tabac shop next door, but you do need cash at the shop.

Posted by
1206 posts

I used my standard, ordinary, US Chase VISA card in two Trenitalia kiosk machines (Rome, Palermo) in April 2019 and multiple kiosks (Rome, Perugia, Lucca, Assisi) in January, 2019. No PIN for my card, and none requested in the machines. English is an option for making purchases, and I find the machines very clear and easy to use. The machines will also take cash and give change, if you prefer that route.

Posted by
32171 posts

suzi,

As the others have mentioned, there's absolutely no reason to buy advance tickets for the Leonardo Express as it's so easy just to buy at the airport station. The Kiosks have an English language option and it only takes a minute or two (assuming your credit card works). There are also staffed ticket booths so buying tickets is not a problem. As mentioned earlier, DO NOT forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding the train.

One important point to mention is that there are two trains serving the airport, the Leonardo Express and the FL-1. Be sure to board the correct train or you may be subject to hefty fines!

Posted by
62 posts

We were first timers in Italy at the end of February 2019. It was super easy to find the kiosk (find an image online so you know what it looks like). It's a Trenitalia kiosk (also found at Termini - lots and lots of them). Just follow the instructions in your language - choose Leonardo Express to Termini (pick the time you want to depart - and be aware there are other trains listed also going to Termini). We used our credit card every time. There was some construction at FCO, so we followed the detour signs to walk to Leonardo Express. We found a kiosk prior to leaving the main terminal, but then we also found many kiosks closer to the Leonardo Express platform area. There are validation machines as you enter the platform (just watch other people use them). Our tickets did not validate (we assume because we purchased a specific time from the kiosk). Thankfully, the conductor told us to just get on board and not to worry about it. On our return to FCO, we purchased our tickets from a kiosk at Termini and easily validated our tickets prior to boarding.