Please sign in to post.

Le Marche

We are planning to stay in Ascoli Piceno, in Marche, and wonder if there is a better place to fly into than Rome. We are coming from Detroit, and would rather change planes in Europe than NJ or NY. Any advice?

Posted by
362 posts

I think several low cost euro airlines fly into Ancona - which is much closer. See if maybe you can find a flight to London or Paris or Frankfurt, etc. and take a flight to Ancona from there. Ryanair goes from Stansted to Ancona http://www.ryanair.com/en Ascoli is great - do not miss the Cafe Meletti and their anise flavored liquor - made on the premises. http://www.caffestoricomeletti.it

Posted by
3 posts

Anthony is right, Ryanair fly from London Stansted airport (north of London) to Ancona. They also fly to Pescara (further south and a little closer to Ascoli Piceno) as well as Rimini (north of Ancona).

If you can get a direct flight from Detroit to Rome then it may well be preferable to handling the transfers between airports in London. ALSO beware the baggage weight costs ...remember that you will be travelling with the normal baggage weight, and Ryanair (and other low-cost airlines) have very limited and tightly controlled baggage allowances. Read the info on the website carefully so that you aren't landed with heavy fees!

On the plus side for landing in Rome .... the drive across to Ascoli Piceno is gorgeous, through the Gran Sasso. I do it regularly (my business operates from Montalto delle Marche) and love this route.

In which case, I strongly recommend, if possible, that you organise your flights in/out of Rome airport at a non-commuter time because the Rome GRA (circular) is heavily congested at these times! Once you are off the GRA, you will have a fantastic, all motorway drive to the east coast.

The east coast is also well serviced by the Adriatic train route from Milan down to the south of Italy. Lovely journey (I've done this too) ...you need to sort out logistics for care hire when you alight (probably at San Benedetto del Tronto, 20 mins from Ascoli Piceno).

Fran
www.cocoonsacconi.com