Please sign in to post.

Layover in Rome

My daughter and I have a 4 hour layover in Rome on the way home from Egypt. She's never been to Italy. Do we have time to take a cab to Vatican City, explore St. Peter's for an hour, and get back to the airport to catch our flight home?

Posted by
5517 posts

No, unfortunately you do not have time to leave the airport. Remember, you would have to go through immigration if you wanted to exit the airport. You would have to go through security on your return. That would eat up a good chunk of the free time that you have. Plus the airport is about 25 miles from the city.

Posted by
973 posts

I don't think so.... It took over 2 hours to get through security last October, and I got through faster than my husband because there was a "women only" line. Then there was a short bus ride from the secure area to the gates. That left barely enough time for me to grab a couple of waters from the club and board.

Posted by
653 posts

Definitely no time to get into Rome. I had a nine hour layover a few years ago and had barely enough time to get into the city, meet a friend for a coffee, and get back to the airport. You will have time to check out the airport's duty-free shop, however.