Please sign in to post.

Last Minute Questions

We leave for Florence on Monday! A couple last minute questions....

• is it legal to bring CBD into the country? I use a tincture daily. I can certainly leave it at home, but if it isn't an issue I would love to bring it.

• does LYFT operate there? Not that we will have much reason to use it, but the husband asked and I didn't know the answer.

We are SO excited!

Posted by
15041 posts
  1. CBD is sold in Italian pharmacies, but I don’t know about restrictions to importing it from outside the EU. If you decide to bring it with you make sure the instructions indicate the percentage of THC. If it is 0.2% or under there should be no problems.
  2. Lyft does not operate in Europe. In Italy Uber also is not allowed to operate except for the Uber Black service, which is a Black Limo service operated by licensed limo drivers (therefore more expensive than regular taxis). In Florence you will likely mostly walk, since the city center is compact and relatively small. You might use a taxi if you fly to Florence to transfer from the airport to the hotel. The taxi flat fare from the airport is 22€ (25.30€ at night) plus a supplement of 1€ per bag in the trunk.
Posted by
8567 posts

Have fun. Wear comfortable shoes. Try Trattoria Mario. Family style seating.

Posted by
2274 posts

I just don't get the fascination with online car services - Europe has a gadzillion taxis EVERYWHERE, ready, able, and willing to take you anywhere you need to go - I've been using them for years with never a problem.
Oh, and since we're throwing out restaurant names - I like Zeb - mother and son - excellent food preparation and great wines - just tell the son the style of wine you like and he'll pour you a great glass OR uncork you a great bottle.

Posted by
6173 posts

I just don't get the fascination with online car services - Europe has
a gadzillion taxis EVERYWHERE, ready, able, and willing to take you
anywhere you need to go - I've been using them for years with never a
problem.

As well as buses, trams, metros and trains.

Posted by
8257 posts

Taxis are readily available in Florence. Most people will walk from location to location in the central part of the city. It can be a bit of a challenge to find your way around. Street names change often as you are walking along. I finally figured out to use my city mapper app to get around without getting lost. Google maps also works.

Posted by
15678 posts

Right. Lots of public transport is available but you're unlikely to need it. As Roberto said, the historic center is surprisingly compact, and much more interesting to explore on foot anyway, as long as you're physically able to do that.

I love Florence... Have a GREAT trip!

Posted by
55 posts

Thank you everyone!

I will wait and purchase CBD there.

My husband had asked about LYFT/UBER just in case we are too "tipsy" to walk back to the hotel. We do triathlons and are pretty fit for our 60 years so we plan to walk EVERYWHERE!

Posted by
2274 posts

just in case we are too "tipsy" to walk back to the hotel

The restaurant would call for you a taxi ... PRONTO !

Posted by
15678 posts

...just in case we are too "tipsy" to walk back to the hotel.

I'll recommend having fun but doing your best not to get to that point? We enjoy our libations as much as the next person (!) but draw a line at not having our wits reasonably about us in the foreign country/strange city. I guess we never know who might be paying attention to us if we are obviously too fuzzy to pay attention to what's going on around us?

Posted by
2300 posts

Excellent point, Kathy. As tourists, there are already enough people ready to help us part with our valuables! Don’t make that easier by not having your wits about you.

Posted by
3039 posts

We are in Florence now. No safety issues. But don't overdue the alcohol. Remember, you can buy a bottle of something and have it in the hotel. Safer. Lots of small grocers, although apparently no alcohol sales after 9 PM.

The downtown is small - distance from the Academia (David) to the Pitti Palace is about 1 K. We have walked a lot. Taxis here are go-go-go, so don't step into the street without checking what's coming your way.

We had no problem getting the Combo ticket on the day we arrived. Uffizi was crowded, but manageable. David was more crowded.

Posted by
3039 posts

There is a tram from airport to the railway station - E1.5 - unless you are movement-challenged, I would do that. We leave Tues 10/04, and will tram to the airport.

Posted by
3039 posts

We followed periscope's rec of ZEB. Went to ZEB for lunch today (Sunday 10/02). Fabulous. As suggested, he picked the wines (thank goodness - so many wines, so little time). We had a primi and secundi - my wife had a ravioli with cornflower, I had pici with a marinara Bolognese. I had a sort of rouladen (rolled flank steak), my wife had osso bucco. We shared a tiramasu for dolci. We came at 1:30 and had a 45 min wait. 18 seats.