Please sign in to post.

Last minute advice

Can anyone give me any last minute advice on Italy travel ? My trip starts next wednesday night arrive in Venice on 15th. Staying at Ca' Dogaressa for 3 nights and taking train to rome on Sunday 18th and staying at Residenza Cellini for 5 nights. We fly home out of Rome on a 1pm flight.

Thanks

Posted by
139 posts

Eli I think that is too many days because Italy has so much to offer that one should try and get a taste of as much as they can. If it is a first trip hit the main sites that are of interest to you. Be it museums, architecture, ruins, people watching what have you. I am not a big museum person so one or two over the course of 3 days mixed with the other exciting things of Rome gave us a taste of Rome. We also wanted a taste of Venice, Tuscana etc. For us 3 days was enough, as were 2 days in Venice, 3 in Cinque Terre and a week in Tuscana visiting hill towns, and Siena and Florence.

Posted by
1449 posts

get Rick's guide book to Italy, read thru it!!

Posted by
139 posts

I can't imagine needing 5 nights in Rome. If it isn't too late I would try and spend some time in Tuscana area, visiting a couple hill towns, spending time with the people and the absolutely beautiful country side.

Posted by
349 posts

I'd LOVE 5 years in ROME!
We are going to get a guide in Rome for that local feel and info. Day trips out of Rome are nice also.

Posted by
510 posts

In Rome, go to the Borghese Gallery. The Bernini sculptures are not to be believed. All of the art there is good. I also like the Caravaggio paintings. (I think I remember more than one!)

If you haven't already been there, consider a day trip to Ostia Antica or Pompeii/Herculaneum.

Posted by
2207 posts

Eli - I do not think you need to be "sad" about spending 5 days in Rome... As it's now my hometown I'll take up for it. Rome is in Italy, it's NOT Italy - Rome... is ROME! What to do for 5 days – you just need to know what to look for!

Here are some things that could fill up 5 WEEKS in Rome: The Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Circo Maximus, the Pantheon, Theatre of Marcellus, Campidoglio, The Vittoriano, 934 unique Churches, the Jewish Ghetto, an evening in Trastevere, walking the Corso, shopping the Condotti, Nazionale, or Rienzo, the Quiranale, the Trevi Fountain, Villa Borghese, the Pincio Gardens, Palazzo Barberini and Piazza Barberini, Janiculum Hill overlooking Rome, seeing the Pope on Wednesday, touring St. Peter’s Basilica, taking the Scavi tour UNDER St. Peter’s Basilica, or climbing the Dome to be OVER St. Peter’s Basilica, seeing the Sistine Chapel and the Raphael Rooms in the Vatican Museum – finding Raphael’s Ascension – tucked away in the back wing, walking a street market at Ponte Milvio or Andrea Doria, spending a weekend “haggling” for deals at Porta Portese, eating gelato at San Crispino’s, Giolitti’s and Della Palma (but NOT all in the same day!),early morning at the Campo de’ Fiori, relaxing in Piazza Navona, Climbing the ramparts at Castel Sant’ Angelo, coffee Italian style at either – or each of – Tazza D’Oro, Sant'Eustachio, or Antico Caffe' Greco, getting creeped out in the catacombs, visiting the “BONE” Church, walking the Baths of Caracalla – or The Baths of Diocletian, Hard Rock for the T-shirt, ride a bus to nowhere or take a Hop-On Hop Off bus and see it all, see an opera at many different venues, Go on a fountain excursion to see Rome’s many tributes to water, See all the Caravaggio’s in town – 3 just in the San Luigi dei Francesi church!, for fun follow the “Roman Holiday” sites – like the Boca de Veritas, Sunday Brunch at Gusto’s,

CONTINUED....

Posted by
2207 posts

CONTINUED

spending the long afternoons sitting in a little café watching the world go by, seeing the Augustus Mausoleum, walking the narrow, winding, backstreets of Trastevere, catching some sun on the Spanish Steps, heading over to the EUR to see Mussolini’s vision of the world, take a river cruise down the Tiber, walk the Appian Way, sit on the Lions at Piazza del Popolo (the northern gate to the city) and get your picture taken, go see a mall Roman Style at Porta di Roma, Roma Est, or Parco Leonardo, Visit the Pompeii exhibit and see “Olivia’s Room” at the National Museum across from Termini Station, Go behind the walls of the Trajan Market and walk through 2nd century streets and stores, Shop at La Rinascente, visit the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano – known as Rome’s Cathedral, go to the Zoo, see the Museo del Pasta!, see The Roseto Comunale (Rome's Rose garden), ALL the talking statues (led by Pasquino)....

And there’s plenty more to do I just got tired of typing! So find YOUR Rome - and I'm sure folks can add to this list - and you will have a great time!!

Ciao - FROM ROME,
Ron

Posted by
632 posts

Patrick and Eli,

We've all been reading Ron's comments on these boards for some time now...he and Claire are our resident experts on things Italian...believe him when he says there is more than enough to fill a lifetime in Rome...our first trip to Italy, 6 years ago, we started in Venice and spent 6 days there before heading off to Tuscany...there are a number of people on this board who think you can do Venice in a couple of days...guess what. Every trip back to Italy, we begin in Venice to pick up where we left off...the same can be said of Rome...we only spent 5 days and 4 nights on our first trip to Rome (I had spent a week in Rome in the late 60's). I can truly say that we are going back to see more of Rome...it is one of 5 great cities of the western world (New York, Paris, London, Rome, and Berlin), and Rome like the other's will leave you wanting more!

Posted by
41 posts

We just spent 5 nights in Rome in April and it was perfect - I would have hated to spend any less time and we had even planned to do some day trips, but enjoyed Rome so much - didn't see a reason to leave. One piece of advice I would offer is eating dinner in the Travestere neighborhood - we ate in various locations - sometimes on the popular piazza's - but found the value for our money to be much better in the Travestere neighborhood. The food was great everywhere - but seemed to be about 20 euro cheaper for the four of us for same amount of food.

Also, don't hesitate to pop into any church that looks interesting - there is amazing art all over Rome in their cathedrals - we saw Rafael's, Michaelangelo's etc, and it only takes a few minutes to stop and explore them as you are wandering around.

Follow Rick's tips and you can't go wrong!

Have a wonderful time!