Please sign in to post.

Lake Trasimeno

Traveling to Perugia and want to do a bike rental and explore around the areas of the lake. Also looking for good recommendation for lunch and which village to stop in via the bike. Will be taking a train from Perugia to area but would love advice and anyone who has visited their recommendations?

Posted by
452 posts

Paciano and Pianacale are both pretty little under the radar villages. Uncrowded and unspoiled.

Posted by
15466 posts

Castiglion del Lago is the top village destination on the lake.

Passignano, Monte del Lago, San Savino (castle) and San Feliciano are also quaint.

Although I've never had a chance to do it, maybe a visit to the islands would be nice. The ferry to Polvese Island depart from San Feliciano, those to Isola Maggiore depart from the north shore.

Don't remember the names of the restaurants. It's been a long time since I ate there. Just search on TripAdvisor or TheFork, they are the most used apps by Italians.

Posted by
709 posts

We ate at La Locanda Pescatori del Trasimeno at Via Martiri di Cefalonia 37, Sant’Archangelo. Right on the lake. It is a co-op run by the fishermen on that part of the lake. We had a very good lunch. Lots of swans and well fed semi feral kitties-outdoors of course.

Posted by
30 posts

Thank you to all three of you for your replies! Roberto specifically I have used the Fork last time in Italy and agree it is widely used. If anyone else has info on bike rental etc that would be great. I will check in Castiglione del Lado for specifics on bike rental.

Posted by
383 posts

@ Travelslow. Great handle.

Yep. 19th Sept 2018. Leisurely hour or so drive from our villa near Todi, first stopped at a café/bar “Il Chisoco di San Feliciano” on the lake foreshore for morning coffee and sweet pastries. After that was devoured, my favourite DIL got me a beer. The women then left me to drink the beer (an obvious bribe) and supervise the 5 grandchildren in a small play park, swings and climbing apparatus, while they walked into the village to check out the real estate. I was kept busy.

A drive around the lake with frequent stops to check out real estate. Traffic was sparse and I would venture cycling would be without drama. We had 3 cars, and the parking was easy. My sons will not let me drive in Italy when they are in the car. Have no appreciation for my racetrack skills. Just have me pay the leases.

After some debate the women selected https://giramondo-ristorante-pizzeria.business.site/ because it had a large, grassed play area bordering the lake for the children to play. Lunched outside for about 2 ½ hours. Nice and slow. In hindsight would have been better to have had dinner there and enjoy the sun set over the lake. Would have been ultra romantic.

Clear cloudless azure skies. Occasional warmish breeze. 28c.

At both places the food was regional Italian, and fried chips for the children at lunch.

Location, location, and great food made it a bonzer day.

It did cross my mind that a cycling path around the lake would be a useful addition.

Regards
Ron