Please sign in to post.

Lake Trasimeno

Hello,

I’m planning a trip for my husband and 12 of our closest friends. We are staying near Chiusi late September/early October next year. I’ve read some things about Lake Trasimeno but I was curious of other’s experiences here. Is it worth hanging out for the day? Activities? Sites? Thank you!

Posted by
11506 posts

We have been to Monte de Lago twice, a pretty town on the lake. We drove there once from Cortona and another time from Spello, Umbria. I don't know about activities, just a pretty place to visit. Look up the history of Hannibal, a Carthaginian General who marched by Lake Trasimeno with his elephants, fought against the Romans in c. 200BC in the second Punic War.
There is a museum where the battle took place.

Posted by
211 posts

Drive to the town of Tuoro sul Trasimeno or Passignano--but first look at the ferry schedules. Take the ferry to Isola Maggiore. There are hiking trails throughout the small (despite it name) island. Some are quite steep. At the end of your walk, have lunch on the terrace of Da Sauro, overlooking the lake. Good food, decent house wine and a warm staff. Be sure to reserve.

Another excursion is from the town of San Feliciano. Take the ferry to Isola Polvese--it's an environmental lab. You'll have to sign up for a tour to see what they do. Or you can just walk around the edge of the island; it's just a beautiful walk.

Posted by
7737 posts

The tiny town of Panicale is nearby and could charm your socks off. Hilltop town, with two magnificent paintings by Perugino (including a Martyrdom of St. Sebastian). To see them, you stop by the TI office in the main piazza. (Street view link below) Tell him/her you want to see St. Sebastian and they will sell you a ticket, lock up the office and take you up to the nearby church for a personal guided tour in English. (Warning - they close for the early afternoon - like 12:30 to 2:30 or similar.) The tour includes a tiny jewel-box of a theater.
http://www.portal-pacianopanicalepiegaro.it/en/tourism/panicale-en/san-sebastiano-church/

https://goo.gl/maps/7wC1omWDum8HAoi3A

And I can personally recommend Albergo Ristorante Masolino, also on the tiny main piazza.