Please sign in to post.

Lake Orta to Bellagio

My husband & will will be traveling w/ Rick Steves' tour of Italy (14 day Village Tour) starting on May 31, 2019 in Padua. We are planning to visit Bellagio for a few days. After calling the independent tour department at Rick Steves, the suggestion is to take a cab from Lake Orta to Milan Centrale (train station) & catch a train to Varenna. I am wondering if anyone is traveling that way (towards Milan) & would like to share the cost of the ride to Milan? I don't know how much it will be but hopefully will get some guidance from our guide. We will have two pieces of luggage & a carry on.
Thank you.
Vicky Taeubel

Posted by
15144 posts

Why can’t you take the train from Lake Orta to Milan (with train change in Novara)?
It’s less than 10€ per person and it’s not much longer than by car.

Posted by
2 posts

Our understanding is that the there is more than 1 stop with the train & it takes about 4 hours. We don't know how much time we have to connect from one train to another with suitcases.

Posted by
11155 posts

Day 14: Tour Over After Breakfast
Breakfast is provided, but there are no group activities today. Milan's closest airport, Malpensa, is 60–90 minutes away by taxi. Your guide will help coordinate transportation to Malpensa, leaving you well prepared for the road ahead

I am sure the guide could help you get to Milan Centrale, where you can train to Varenna and ferry to Bellagio.

Even if you went with a group to the airport, getting to Milan Centrale from MXP is straightforward by bus or train

Posted by
15144 posts

I don’t know when you tour ends in the morning. But there is a train leaving from Orta-Miasino station (near Orta San Giulio) at 1:51pm which will get you to Milano Centrale at 3:46pm, so less than 2 hrs trip.
There is a change required at the Novara station. The layover at Novara is over half hour, therefore very long to make the next train from Novara to Milano Centrale with no problem.
At Milano Centrale you have another half hour to change to the train to Varenna. You will be in Varenna before 5:30pm. The entire trip is only 13.50€ per person, less than $15. If you take a taxi you will spend hundreds.
www.trenitalia.com
Enter
from ORTA-MIASINO
to: VARENNA-ESINO