Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda Towns

Hi
I’m planning a 3 night trip to lake Garda the first week of Oct. I’m looking for advice on which town I should stay in. I’m looking for something with scenic lake and Mountain views. I’m thinking Riva del Garda or Malcesine. Any thoughts or considerations?

Posted by
705 posts

I did not stay overnight but did visit Malcesine, Riva del Garda and Limone sul Garda in spring last year. Scenery and atmosphere are lovely in all three. If I were to go back and stay the night I would choose Riva del Garda or Limone sul Garda. I thought they were very very picturesque and the scenery and views from Tremosine in the mountains above were spectacular. Your choices are all beautiful. Malcesine is probably nearer to rail station if depending on trains to get there. Will you have a car to explore? Since you will be there in October, check the ferry schedules if you plan to explore/ travel by boat from town to town to make sure the schedule meets your needs in the shoulder season.

Posted by
2371 posts

hey hey littleny
just to put a "bug" in your ear, several years ago a customer told us about an annual wine festival in bardolino.
carnifest.com/bardolino wine festival 2024 (oct 3-7 festa dell'uva e del vino)
drove from venice on a sunday morning, parked car in front of hotel nettuno, dropped luggage and off we went down pathway to festival on the lake.
will you have a car? don't forget to get your IDP (AAA.com/IDP) for each driver and good for a year.
bought a wine glass holder necklace for 15E at entrance gate and got the party started, eat drink and be merry. so much food, bardolino wine, music, parade, fun people, arts & crafts on the beautiful waterfront. walked around the small village with restaurants/shops/bars, outside sitting. bring small denominations of euros (don't know about credit cards). sunday night is the finale with fireworks over the lake. we had a fabulous time, got back to hotel about midnight and returned to venice next afternoon. drove a little up the lake and back down to pescheira del garda for lunch in the town center then a rainy ride back.
thecrowdedplanet.com/things to do on lake garda
september and october are busy months with harvests and festivals, travelers wanting to see the same places as you read in travel forums, italy seems to be busy all year, have lots of patience with more fun and enjoyment. the views on the lake are absolutely gorgeous, take on the views in.
aloha

Posted by
67 posts

We stayed in Malcesine for 3 nights in May. It was our first time at Lake Garda and I would highly recommend it! One day we took the cable car to the top of Monte Baldo for hiking and beautiful views. Another day we took a ferry to Limone. Just an FYI, the trains do not go to Malcesine. If you don't have a car, you can take a bus from Peschiera or as we did, private transfer from Verona. Have a great trip!

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks Carol. Were you happy with your accommodations? If so where did you stay?

Posted by
67 posts

We stayed at Hotel Aurora and were happy with the accommodations. It was centrally located, reasonably priced and provided breakfast. I would stay there again, but it's worth noting that there is no elevator.

www.aurora-malcesine.com/en