Leaving in a couple weeks for Tuscany. Want to start planning a trip for next May. I've been to all the places in Rick's book and looking for new places I haven't been. Due to work I need to keep it at 10 days. The 2 places that come to mind first for this trip would be Lake Garda (loved pictures i've seen of Sirmine, Malcine online) and then Emilia Romagna (Bologna, Parma, Modena) for food and the smalltown of Dozza (a few miles from Bologna). Couple of questions?
1) Is that do-able in 10 days, or is that too much time and I need to add a 3rd location? I'm not sure how many days in each place. I was thinking Fly in and out of MIlan for cost & easy access to my US location (cheaper then Venice Marco Polo). Land in Milan head straight to lake Garda, then onto Emilia Region and back to Milan for 1 night before departure.
2) How many days for Lake Garda to see everything? Sirminone, Riva, Malacine etc. Best place to stay?
3) Is a trip better done with a car or train? I see ferry service around the lake but would a car better to drive to say the top part of the lake from the south? Is a car better around Parma and the towns then buses. Wouldn't mind staying in argritourmo's in the area with a car either. If we go the car route is it better to say train from Milan to Lake Garda and grab the car there or pickup the car in Milan?
4) Argritousrimo in the Emilia Romagna area for the whole time in one location vs. staying in city centers of Bologna say 2 nights, Parma 2 nights, Modena 1 night.
5) Any other thoughts on a trip to this area or sights to see?
6) Rick doesn't cover these 2 area's anyone have a good book to grab. I see Lonely Planet has a chapter on each. I'm going to check out the library one night these week to flip thru and see if I like those books. Figured I'd ask if anyone has been to this area and a good resouce to grab.