Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda

Looking for suggestions on where to stay in Lake Garda - 4 70+adults. We have stayed in Bellagio, Lake Como, for a week and loved it. Looking for something similar but also, thinking we might go from there to Dolomites and/or Switzerland. We are not constrained on time or money so that isn't an issue.

I have seem people recommend Malcesine, Peschiera, Sirmione - not planning on going to Venice or Verona. Thank you. Will probably have a car.

Posted by
795 posts

I only spent 2 nights in Peschiera, but I LOVED IT. The thing that is tricky though is timing the ferries. We were only able to make it to the town of Garda (to their completely normal market day haha) and then onto Sirmione before getting back to Peschiera late afternoon. If you wanted to go up to the top of the lake, that car will come in VERY handy, as that ferry takes forever. If you wanted to do north and south, I would say picking a mid lake town might be handy (as long as you could find a ferry to get directly across so you wouldn't have to go around by car to the other side haha). Many people enjoy Sirmione a lot, but its still at the bottom.

If I were to go back I would DEFINITELY want to go to the northern towns, and a car might have to work (as transport isn't as easy up there besides ferries). The northern towns seem more picturesque to me, but I was very pleased with the southern towns.

Posted by
11499 posts

Friends in Italy told us to stay in Saló on the SW coast. We loved it there, mostly European visitors, no Americans when we walked around this upscale and charming town.
We also stayed in Malcesine on the NE coast. It had beautiful mountain views but was much more touristy. We wouldn’t return there.

Posted by
795 posts

Oh wow Suki, I am glad you said that about Malcesine! Here I was sitting being sad we didn't get up there! But I bet with a car it would be easy to head out of a town that was too touristy!

When we were in Peschiera (and Garda too), there were SO MANY GERMANS. It was obvious that Lake Garda is a European tourist draw. When we went to the market in Garda we saw probably over 100 bikes parked from people that had apparently biked around the lake at least a bit. I know that there are good trails which would be fun to do one time.

I really liked Peschiera the best out of that, Garda, and Sirmione (it was more touristy as well).

But having a car would definitely help your ability to explore!

Posted by
795 posts

Riva was so daggum far away by ferry, I wish we could have gone!

We were in Peschiera at the beginning of May, and we barely left the old walls when we were in town....but the walk along the lakeside was SO PRETTY....

Posted by
69 posts

I'm interested in this topic as well so I'm happy to read all the comments. I just booked a hotel in Malcesine yesterday for mid-May. We'll be coming from Venezia.

Posted by
213 posts

there were SO MANY GERMANS

Well, Lake Garda is one of the most popular destinations for a short vacation for people from Munich and Upper Bavaria.
It may get very crowded, especially during the Bavarian Pentecost school vacations.

That said, I'm no expert on Lake Garda. I've been once to the north in Riva del Garda and once to Malcesine and really enjoyed it both times.

Posted by
102 posts

Yes lake Garda isn’t Garda without Germans (historically it’s always been a major vacation spot for them going way back… ). And they aren’t only tourists - In fact, when we lived there (on the Lombardia side) our landlord was German - huge percentage of second homes owned by Germans.

On the Veneto/Trentino side (which is closer for driving to the dolomiti) many of the picturesque towns are touristy. If you like wine you might try the bardolino area , esp since you have a car. A clear winter day by ferry was my favorite time to visit malcesine when I lived at the lake. Descenzano/ Salo are less touristy but on the flatter side of the lake - so if you are looking for breathtaking mountainous/ rock you might have to brave the crowds in malcesine or riva if you are going in summer. Or ferry there for the day from a less busy town.

Posted by
1 posts

Thank you all for helpful tips from your experiences. My husband has been offered a one month remote work from anywhere this year so we are looking at planning the month of October in Italy. Initial thinking is first two weeks Lake Garda and last two weeks in Sicily for the warm weather and beaches.

I know that October is off season and have read that a lot of things close by mid October. We thought Desenzano or Peschiera del Garda might be a good base for a 2 week stay because of proximity to train station. This will be our first time in this area. Closest we have been is Vince in the past.

Happy travels!

Posted by
795 posts

Yes, if its "off-ish" season, I would agree that a place with a good/frequented train station is the way to go. Either way, if you are in one place a while, you will be able to get comfortable with the town and the vendors around you!

Posted by
98 posts

Didn't see it mentioned in the previous comments, but we really enjoyed our time in Limone sul Garda. Very quaint town with gorgeous views. Can easily taxi across the lake to other towns such as Malcesine.

Posted by
17225 posts

For 2 weeks, I would want to be in a place with good train connections, and that limits it to Peschiera or Desenzano. We have never stopped in Peschiera, but have twice stayed in Desenzano, for 2 nights each time. We like the town, with its nice little oldtown area and castle, and have walked through the residential areas which seem nice.

Posted by
2377 posts

hey hey jacque_smithiii
my friend and i went to lake garda for their annual wine festival in bardolino, end of sept beginning of oct few years ago. got info from a customer, did research and booked room at hotel nettuno. we were staying in venice, double booked room, rented car and off we went about 2 hours away. parked car in front, checked in and walked the walkway to festival. it was fabulous. lots of germans and austrians we sat with in venue and the restaurants near the lake. lots of eat drink and be merry,
we took a ride a bit up this gorgeous lake, stopped at pescheira del garda for lunch in the town center. wish we had more days to see & explore.
here's a few sites to check out and see what may interest you and your gang:
thecrowdedplanet.com/things to do in lake garda
tripsavvy.com/get to know lake garda
lakegardatravel.net
rossiwrites.com/best towns to visit lake garda
hope this gives you more info about the area and sites i used back then. best you have a car even for a few days and do take a boat ride on the lake. have fun and enjoy this place. many go to lake como and by pass lake garda, we loved it.
aloha