Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda and Bolzano in July 2017

Hello all,
After spending several days in Florence and the surrounding area, we will be driving up to Lake Garda and Bolzano. I am looking for some advice on your favorite towns in that area. We would like to find a "home base" around Lake Garda, and then do multiple day trips in that area. We will likely be in Lake Garda 4 days. Is Verona worth a stop also?
Thanks

Posted by
824 posts

Yes, Verona is a worthy stop. Several nice churches. Castelvecchio is a really nice museum. Piazza Bra is beautiful and has a nearly complete Roman Arena (still used to this day). A very worthy stop despite the tourist-trap Juliet Balcony.

BTW - 25 minutes from Verona via the train is Vicenza and another 15 minutes (by train) gets you to Padua. Two also worthy stops that can be combined into one day trip from Verona.

Posted by
27190 posts

If you want to see the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, you need to make a reservation in advance. Tickets are timed.

Posted by
792 posts

I enjoyed Desenzano del Garda which is at the south end of the lake. We stayed in Verona and made day trips to Desenzano two days in a row. I think that would be a great base. There were ferries to other cities along the lake and it is a short train ride to Verona. According to the guidebooks (at least to Lonely Planet which is what I read), it has an excellent night life but we were never there at night to witness it first hand. Another town I have heard excellent things about, and am very sorry I didn't get to see it, is Riva del Garda at the north end of of the lake. Sigh. Next trip.

Posted by
1 posts

We found a beautiful town, San Zeno di Montagna, that we used as our home base. Quiet but close to Verona ,Bardolino, Malcesene.
There are several good hotels in the town.

Posted by
174 posts

That is all great information. I can't wait to discover the hidden gems in that area. I have heard that Riva del Garda is awesome.
Thanks !

Posted by
15209 posts

I prefer the North Lake. I love Limone, which is a small quaint village but Malcesine, Riva, Torbole, etc. are all good.

Posted by
32216 posts

william,

As you may be aware, each driver listed on the rental form will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are easily available at any AAA office for a small fee, and are valid for one year.

You'll also need to be extremely vigilant to avoid the dreaded ZTL (limited traffic) areas, which exist in many towns in Italy. Each pass through one will result in hefty fines, which you won't know about until several months after you return home.