Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda

We will be flying into Milan Malpensa and then driving to Bergamo for a few nights. From there we are going to spend a week in Lake Garda. We want to see Sirmione but our focus is more on the northern end of the lake - Limone, Malcesine and Riva. Some in our small group think we should stay in two different places on the lake and so I am trying to decide if we should stay in Bardolino for a few days and then move up to Riva or Malcesine. I see that there are ferries between these towns and we will also have a car. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Posted by
17216 posts

The north end of the lake is so much more beautiful. I would spend most of my time there.

The last 2 years, on our way to the Dolomites, we have spent a couple of nights in Desenzano in a hotel we really like right on the lake, so we could take our grandchildren to Sirmione for the Grottos of Catullus and Jamaica Beach (which is actually smooth rock, not a beach. We chose Desenzano because we did not have a car, and it was very conveniently located on the train line between Milan and Verona on the way to Bolzano for the Dolomites.

There is a short ferry ride from Desenzano to Sirmione. And the whole time I am on that ferry, I am looking longingly up the lake at the surrounding mountains, wishing I could be back in Malcescine. It just didn’t fit well into our trip either time. But I do hope to return before too long.

So . . . If you want to see Sirmione, I suggest you do as we did: stay in Desenzano for 2 nights, and ride the ferry over to Sirmione. That town is so crowded with tourists and tourist shops I would not consider staying there. Our hotel in Desenzano has rooms with balcony and lake view, a small rooftop pool and bar, and a restaurant that is so good we have dined only there, in the garden, during our stays.

https://www.parkhotelonline.it/en/

Or if you find a place you like in Bardolino, just be sure to check on the ferry times to Sirmione. My map makes it look like a long ride, as the Sirmione ferry dock is on the opposite side of the peninsula from Bardolino.

Then spend the rest of the week at the north end of the lake. We love Malcescine, with its little ruined castle and cablecar up Monte Baldo, but you may get other opinions so make up your own mind.

Posted by
15809 posts

I would stay in Malcesine or Limone or Riva (or anywhere in the north) and visit Sirmione on a day trip from there. There are ferries and buses that can take you down to Sirmione and back.
https://www.visitgarda.com/en/bus-timetables/
https://www.visitgarda.com/en/lake-gara-ferries/

Buses are faster than ferries, but ferries are relaxing. From Malcesine the fastest way is probably bus to Garda then ferry from Garda to Sirmione.
If you stay in Riva or Limone, then it’s faster to take the bus along the western shore all the way to Desenzano, then short ferry (or taxi or bus) from Desenzano to Sirmione.

Posted by
11485 posts

We stayed in two places, Saló in the SW and Malcesine in the NW. We liked from Malcesine but loved Saló more. Saló is toney, upscale and filled with Europeans.

Posted by
39 posts

Hello! We'll be one week on Lake Garda as well - in the southeast corner as we plan to do day trips to Verona, Padua, Vicenza.

My question for anyone who knows is about a boat tour. Any advice on a boat tour? There are so many options - what parts of the lake are "best" to see by water?